Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: unsure if this is oversupply or not-long

Default unsure if this is oversupply or not-long

My LO is 6 weeks. I was pretty sure I had oversupply/OALD but now I'm not sure. It almost seems to come and go or be aggravated when I pump occasionally. I was going to start block feeding to make sure of LO getting the hindmilk but I'm afraid I'll mess up my supply so I'm sticking with switching sides for now.

Also we aren't on what I would call a feeding schedule> I was thinking that maybe my body is just confused because it doesn't know when the milk is expected. When should I begin to see some sort of routine? He normally eats very frequently but has random long sleeping stretches at which times I get uncomfortable.

My experience has been:
    Baby choking on milk (but not all the time and becoming more rare)
    Baby explosively gassing with poo (lessening somewhat)
    Green to greenish poo (not as green as a few weeks ago)
    Sometimes breasts become really full
    random clogged ducts/tender areas on breast

I would appreciate any advice!

Default Re: unsure if this is oversupply or not-long

Hi,

Have you checked out the articles in the sticky at the top of this forum? There is some really good information up there to help you determine whether or not oversupply is what you are experiencing.

It is pretty normal for babies not to feed on a rigid schedule. Babies' feeding patterns vary widely, depending on temperment, sucking needs, and mother's breast storage capacity (incidently, having nothing to do with breast size). If you feel that your baby is avoiding the breast at sometimes, and nursing on and off like crazy at other times, that could be a sign of over supply.

Many mothers find that their milk supplies go into overdrive when they pump. If you think it might be oversupply, the first step would be to eliminate all pumping if possible for now. If you start to feel engorged, you can hand express, just a little, until you are comfortable.

Six weeks old is also prime time for a growth spurt. It is possible that your supply was greater than little one's demand a short time ago, but now that little one is growing, your supply better fits his demand, and he is better able to keep up with the fast flow of milk.

Are you switching sides mid-feeding, or are you allowing baby to finish the first breast? Sometimes, that's all that is necessary to put an end to the engorgement and explosive stools.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

I allow him to finish the first side before switching. I have read quite a few articles and was pretty sure it was oversupply. Should I leave things alone and see how it goes? He's on the small side so I worry about him getting the hindmilk.
    I've been waiting for his 6 week growth spurt but haven't noticed it yet. His 2 week spurt had me stuck on the couch for 3 days!

If you are certain it is oversupply, you might consider block feeding. Actually, you might see a difference if you simply put him back on the first breast if he wants to nurse more, rather than switching to the second. Limiting baby to one breast per feeding works well for many mothers.

The "six week" growth spurt can happen anytime between 6-8 weeks on average. Additionally, because your supply is already in excess of his demand, you might not experience that "sitting on the couch nursing constantly" that is typical of growth spurts this time.

HTH. You're doing a great job, mama!

Tiana