Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gassy Baby Question

Question Gassy Baby Question

My oldest DD was not as gassy as my LO so I have no experience in this department. A friend of mine says I should use Mylicon and my pediatrician says to not worry about it until it starts to cause her pain. Am I worrying about this too much? My MIL notices she is gassy too every time she comes over to visit .

I read through some old threads here and it basically says that mom's diet is the problem. I eat right and don't eat spicy foods. I do drink a glass of milk once a day with my cereal. I am not a diary person except for milk. Is she gassy because of me? I wrote down the things I eat everyday vs. once in a while. I can't find anything in the list that would give her gas.

Default Re: Gassy Baby Question

First of congrats on your lo... I think gas is normal... Almost anything can cause it, beans, green veggies, diary (which include hot dogs and lunch meats)... I did stop milk, hot dogs, and lunch meat, and that helped. I wouldn't giver her anything unless she is in pain.. You will know the difference...she will fuss and cry right b4 she "let's it go". Something I found that helped was eating 5-8 ginger snaps a day... They have something called gripe water... it's also for gas. But one of the ingerdients was giner. Here is what is said about ginger
    An outstanding soothing natural medicine for the gastrointestinal tract. Like peppermint, ginger has been shown to beneficially influence gastric mobility while also exerting antispasmodic effects. It is also a very effective remedy for nausea.
    if you are interest in the gripe water check out this
    http://www.coliccalm.com/gripe-water.htm
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I never had a problem w/ gas w/ my other 3 kids. With this LO though, she's had her share. We use the organic gripe water in a blue glass bottle. You can also use more than the label says. I asked my midwife. It really helps her. She is 3 weeks old and I've used it since her first week. Now, I may only use it once or twice a week. HTH.
    Shannon

The best advice I got from this forum on gas was:

"A tried and true method is infant massage - bicycle legs, abdominal circles (i.e. the "I Love You" stroke). This worked for us. I did it in the morning or at another time when she was calm NOT when she was fussing. I think that this not only gave her some relief, it also helped her body "learn" to expel the gas on it's own (i.e. learn what it feels like to pass gas). Do a quick Google search and you will find instructions. Also, movement helps. If you really need something, a book that really helped us is "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Karp. I recommend it w/o reservation. While every baby is different, our pediatrician and the hospital where we delivered heavily promote this book."

...and it worked. I still do the "I love you" stroke and LO seems to love it too. I often bicycle his legs while playing. We have only used gripe water a few times and I'm not sure if it actually worked, or if I just thought it was a "cure". He stills farts today (3 mths old now) and I haven't used the gripe water is awhile.
    Oh, and I ordered the book, The Happiest Baby on the Block. It's awesome, except I wish I had read it before he was 3 months. Since your LO is only 3 wks, I suggest you read it soon (great book + easy read!)

Yep, I forgot about those, still do those now!!!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)