Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning Question and Frozen Milk ???

Default Weaning Question and Frozen Milk ???

My son is almost 3 months old now. I am planning to begin weaning him at about 6-7 months old. This is when my 1st son got his first teeth and I know it's not nessecary to wean at that time but I'm not comfortable with the possibility of being bitten. (He already pulls and snaps as soon as the flow isn't just to his liking .) I am planning to start freezing my milk that I pump to start a supply for when I wean him.

I plan on pumping as well but will probably have a diminished supply once I begin to pump only. So I'd like to have a frozen supply to ensure he does get breastmilk for the full year. Being that you have to use the frozen milk within 3-4 months in a regular freezer I would have to begin using it as soon as I wean to avoid it all going to waste. So here's my question.

Does frozen breastmilk lose it's nutritional value? I looked it up online but couldn't find a definate answer or any studies that have been done.

Would it been bad (nutritionally) to feed him only frozen breastmilk? I've read a lot of posts that suggest this but I can't find any concrete information.

He will also be beginning solids around this time as well or even sooner depending on when he's ready.

Also, how much time should elapse from when you start to wean and the baby is fully weaned?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm going to post this in the milk storage section as well.

Default Re: Weaning Question and Frozen Milk ???

Babies wean at different paces. If you are planning on using child-led weaning, the process is generally anywhere from weeks to months depending on the child's age. LLL believes that weaning should happen with sensitivity to the child's needs (no matter the age) utmost in consideration.

Here is info on storing expressed milk http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

Just so you know, babies do not inevitably bite once they have teeth. With a proper latch, teeth should not be in contact with the nipple. If you find that your baby is getting lazy with the latch or not latched on properly, you may find it crucial to end the feeding and re-latch properly. It may take several times of doing this for a baby of 3 months to catch the clue, but eventually your baby will.

LLL recommends breastfeeding for at least a year to get the full benefits of mother's milk.

You may find that pumping ends up being more time-consuming and tiring than breastfeeding and many mothers when they have the choice, will decide to go back to nursing at the breast after realizing the extra work/time/effort involved in exclusive pumping and/or bottlefeeding of any kind.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the link I already got the information I needed in the milk storage section. I guess this isn't the place to ask about weaning... It seems like a sensative topic if you want to wean. Ok not a problem. I'll leave the weaning questions for his pediatrician.

Hi Reesa, Please don't feel that you have to take your weaning questions off this forum. Yes, in some ways, weaning IS a sensitive topic, but please don't feel that everyone here is going to try to change your mind about this - or anything else (unless, of course, anyone feels you are doing something dangerous, than of course you'd want alternative opinions, right?). Part of the sensitivity, I think, comes from this being a community that can help give alternative views - i.e., NOT the society-driven "you should wean sooner rather than later" concept - because there really isn't a ton of general day-to-day-life support for breastfeeding! This really is a supportive community and what I suspect you are hearing/feeling is the collective experience of understanding the longer-term benefits of BF for closer to a full year. Of course the decisions you make are entirely YOURS and you are a good, caring mom no matter what decisions you make re: weaning. I think, though, that part of what lots of people here are coming from is an understanding that the whole experience - what you want from it, how you feel about it, how much easier it gets, the benefits your baby derives from it - really do evolve and change as the months go on. In other words, it's worth keeping an open mind in the early months and not necessarily make any rock-solid decisions about what you are going to do by, say, the 6-months point.

You are right, though; there is a strong sentiment here that BF for a full year (longer, if you can) is a great goal to have. But please don't feel that you can't ask questions or get support or the benefit of others' experiences if your goals are different! No one is here to judge; we are here to help support one another!

You might want to check out the book "the nursing mother's guide to weaning". It has some very useful info.
    Good luck...please come back!
    Jsmom

Jsmom: Thank you for replying. My first son got his first teeth at 6 months and he was fully weaned at 7 months. He's 9 now and things seem to change over the years on how to do this or that so I figured I'd ask. But it isn't set in stone, who knows this little guy may not get his first teeth until nine months. But nursing him beyond teeth would cause me to feel resentment and I wouldn't want him to feel that from me, so, for us, it's best for me to wean him when he gets his teeth. When I was about 8 my brother who was 4 bit me in the breast/areola (I think I took his toy away ) Well, still today I can remember the pain from that bite, it was very painful for days afterwards and left a scar for many years. Anyway, I would be too uneasy with the presence of teeth that close to my breast again.

It's frustating to ask a question and to get unwanted advice. It would be like me posting to a Mom who nurses beyond 1 yr. and is faced with a nursing strike and me telling her she should wean. That would be terrible and I would never do that.

Anyway thanks for the post, I'm not going anywhere, but I don't think I will ask another weaning question.

I just wanted to thank you for being open and honest about how you feel about raising the subject of weaning on the forum. My situation is different from yours - my daughter is almost 13 mo and is still bf-ing, so I have not personally received a lot of commentary on the choices I've made for her (at least here ). But I have read a lot of other people's posts and replies and have felt at times that others on the forum were being a little sanctimonious. Jsmom is right, we are all here to be supportive, not to judge, but that doesn't mean that's always how it feels to the mom in question.

I should say this too: I greatly appreciate this forum and have found it an invaluable source of information and advice. I am so glad it's here. But reesa97, I recognize that you are being brave in saying what you think and feel even though it may be unpopular.

Good luck!

You're the mommy. What you say, goes. (As my brother once said to my dad, "I don't have to mind you; you're not the mother!") You get to choose when/how to wean your baby. Though LLL respects a mother's right/responsibility to parent her child as she sees fit, most of the people on this board probably don't have much experience with weaning in the first year. That said, I'm sure some of the leaders must have references available which would help with your frozen milk question. FWIW, I think it's great that you can acknowledge your feelings about BF someone with teeth and try to find a compromise like feeding frozen breast milk until the end of the first year. If you don't get what you need here, you could try calling your local LLL; if the leader who takes your call can't answer your questions to your satisfaction, she can refer you to another leader or IBCLC. I have no experience w/ this, but you might even be able to pump some after you quit feeding your baby directly from your breasts, which would buy you some time.
    Good luck with all this. As an aside, I'd just like to say that the hardest bite I remember came from gums! Boy, was DD mad when I told her no and put her down...

Hi reesa!

I'm so glad the biggest portion of your question was answered here:
    http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=3859

I thank you for sharing your experience with us. How painful that must have been to recieve that bite!

I certainly understand your feelings about receiving unwanted advice. Nobody likes that! Please know that LLL is here to help you reach your breastfeeding goals...no matter how long you plan to breastfeed.

To everyone thanks for the responses I appreciate it. Sorry it took so long to respond, my son must be going through his 3 month growth spurt . I'm glad to see the support is out there.

My son (firstborn) is almost 10 months old and still breastfeeding... he has 7 teeth and biting was a scary issue for me as well... don't even want to THINK about that!

Before he was even sprouting teeth I starting trying to train him not to bite. Whenever he gummed me or bore down I would immediately break the suction and put him down (either into his pack n play for crib, etc.) and end the feeding session with a stern "NO BITING". He would cry and be upset for awhile but after he had calmed down we would start again.

I did this even if he wasn't exactly biting down... even if his actions just started to make me nervous about it, I would end the session.

He has never bitten me with those teeth. He has tested me by touching me with them and looking at me to see what I would do... but I just said... "no biting" and he stopped messing around. Your baby is very intelligent and he will figure out that feeding time is not time for play if he wants to eat!

Just my story... good luck with whatever you choose!
    Sincerely,
    Meg