Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lumps 1 1/2 weeks after wean?

Question Lumps 1 1/2 weeks after wean?

My DD is 13 mos - and we were done weaning 1 1/2 weeks ago. I did a VERY slow transition: at 9months, was down to 3x/day, 10 months was 2x/day, 11 months, once/day. She was hardly drinking at all during the one bf/day by the time she wa 12 mos - just a couple minutes.

The past week & a half I've hardly had any fullness (I'm assuming due to the slow wean transition & the fact that she was hardly drinking any milk at the end). This morning, however, I noticed some lumps - more on one side than the other - under the nipples & on the one side, above the nipple. They're tender to the touch. Is this normal? Anything I should do about it? If it is normal, how long does it typically last?

Thanks for any info!

Default Re: Lumps 1 1/2 weeks after wean?

Sounds to me like you have a few plugged ducts. Even though you were only down to nursing briefly once a day, you'd be surprised how much milk is still there. The plugs may go away on their own, but if they don't, you may want to consider a warm shower and some gentle massage to work them out. If you don't get rid of the plugged ducts, you could end up with a nasty case of mastitis.

Thanks for the response - plugged ducts was what I was afraid of!

I took a warm shower this morning & then pumped less than a minute on both sides. The lumps are now gone, but I'm worried they'll come back due to the stimulation of the pump prompting more milk production....

Hi there... yup; sounds like plugs. The trick here is to massage and work out the plugs and milk that is getting backed up, but not to stimulate a letdown - which would tell your body to make more milk. Warm showers are great, so are warm, moist compresses. An easy and helpful way to heat is with a water-moistened disposable diaper that you have microwaved for 30 or so seconds. Be careful not to scald yourself, of course! You might want to apply a thin layer of cloth or papertoweling between your skin and the diaper, for example. After you have heated the breast for a minute or two, look carefully at your skin. If some areas are particularly blotchy and look more red than other areas, these are the areas to focus on with your massage. Start 'above', i.e., further out from the nipple but in the the same direction as the red areas and massage firmly down through the nipple. Then, hand-express whatever milk you can - this will help clear but shouldn't really stimulate a let down and more milk production like pumping can. Hand expressing works particularly well for this kind of situation and has the added plus of letting you really get in there and feel around for problem areas.

Probably a good idea to do this for longer than you think you actually need to (on the order of a couple of weeks), because plugs do start to build w/out showing any real symptoms until they are rather advanced. Good luck; please let us know how it's going!!
    Jsmom (who has had way too many blebs and plugs!)

Thank you so much Linda!!
    I'll let you know how it goes!