Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bread

Default Bread

Hi all!

My DD is 9 1/2 mo and we would like to keep her distracted while at dinner table (once she's done with her food, she starts to fuss). I heard one mom was giving her son a piece of bread.

Do you know how big the bread should be? What size and shape? Which type of bread and should it be tosted or not? I'm very scared of choking so I want to be very carefull.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Lasbi

Default Re: Bread

We give my DD (8 mo) Zwieback toast fairly often. She's never had problems choking on it - it seems to crumble and dissolve well with all her slobber and drool. And, it seems to keep her occupied for a long time. She also loves cheerios which also keep her busy!

Oh, and they both are relatively clean - considering it's a baby feeding herself!
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!

I give Caden bread all the time. He loves it! I just tear it up into bite size pieces. Usually I just give him half of a slice. And I don't toast it, I think it's easier to chew when it's soft. Oh and we just give him the bread we buy for us, whole wheat...
    We tried zwieback toast once and he tried to shove the whole thing in his mouth and almost choked.
    Last edited by *mlk*; November 13th, 2007 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cadensmommy View Post
    I give Caden bread all the time. He loves it! I just tear it up into bite size pieces. Usually I just give him half of a slice. And I don't toast it, I think it's easier to chew when it's soft. Oh and we just give him the bread we buy for us, whole wheat...
    We tried zwieback toast once and he tried to shove the whole thing in his mouth and almost choked.
    I do this all the time too. Tear it up into small pieces, maybe 1/2 in x 1/2in. My DS is almost 11mo, he can handle bigger pieces. And agree with pp, it doesnt make a mess when the LOs try to feed themselves bread.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

is bread okay that young?
    I thought it was best to stay off wheat, or anything allergenic, until a year. Is that right?