Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pooping while feeding

Default Pooping while feeding

My LO is now 4 weeks old. I previously posted because he seemed very distressed everytime he had to poop. The color, frequency and texture of the poop seems normal for a breastfed newborn, so I am not worried about that, but he cries and strains many times when he has a bowel movement. For the last two days he is pooping primarily while I nurse. It is starting to cause a problem because he is clamping down because he is straining to poop and / or it is interrupting the feeding session because he pops on an off to cry and strain to go to the bathroom. This makes what used to be 15-20 minute feeding sessions almost 45 minutes. Also, it makes it difficult to track how much food he is actually getting because there is no consistency to his nursing. I am beginning to get frustrated. It seems like I work out one issue, and up pops another.

Has anyone experienced this? I know I should just break the latch when he begins to clamp down, right? I am just concerned because he is not eating consistently he is feeding much more frequently. Also the straining during feeding is causing him to spit up more than usual so I just feel like he is not getting a good amount of food. How much longer does this defecation reflex last? When will my LO be able to poop in peace so life and feeding can go on???

Default Re: Pooping while feeding

It goes away. My LO used to poop during every feeding and yes it's annoying. I would wait until he was done and unlatch him, then change him, and nurse again. Sometimes he would poop again and we would start all over yet again... But yes it gets better with time and now he only poops once a day in the morning.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

It does get better. I noticed that between 4 weeks and 10 weeks it wasn't actually the poop my son was struggling with, it was the gas! Frequent burping and tummy massage helped. But it really only went away with time. He still farts like an old man, but its not as bothersome to him.

If you're concerned about if he's getting enough, just watch for enough wet and poopy diapers. Don't worry about timing his nursing. Some babies are very efficient. My son would nurse NO longer than 10 minutes. Some babies like to take their time.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

This sounds like my 7 week old. But it is just at bedtime. There is so much fussing and grunting and letting go and re-attaching and spitting-up. So I carry her around and scrunch her legs and roll her on her other side to nurse at the other breast. She poops eventually, but sometimes this goes on for a couple hours. I usually offer her the same breast for at least an hour before switching to make sure she gets the hindmilk. Then we fall asleep while nursing.
    During the day her nursing sessions can be long, too. I have rarely seen her satisfied with nursing for only 15 minutes. So I think what's needed is just patience... and lots of burp cloths.