Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Eggs and Milk

Default Starting Eggs and Milk

My boy turns 1 tomorrow.
    What is the best way to introduce eggs and milk?
    I plan on making him scrambled eggs to introduce them. Is that the best way?
    But what about milk? I don't want to give him a sippy cup of milk, as I plan on breastfeeding for a little while longer. Do I give him something made with it? Say french toast? After I know he's OK with the eggs?

Just wondering how you all introduced these items and if it was right when they turned 1.

He is having a birthday party on Saturday and I'd like him to have some birthday cake.

Default Re: Starting Eggs and Milk

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

I like this link from kelly mom

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.

i don't know if this counts but, i made some chicken that i gave an egg bath and then dredged in panko bread crumbs. so, the chicken had egg on it. he loved it and had no reaction. just an idea!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

From what I understand, the best way to test an allergy is to challenge it with the truest form of the food. So scrambled eggs (plain, nothing added) would be a good way to test for an allergy.

We have been offering cooked eggyolk since about 9 months since I read that its the white that causes most allergic reactions.

I think I read also (do I read too much) that when its egg or dairy cooked into something, like bread, cake, etc it might not cause a reaction but if they eat it plain (or the milk uncooked) it can cause a reaction.

HTH
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

When I give new (allergy concern) foods, I usually give a small amount first, then gradually build up how much I offer over time. I don't know if it's true, but I figure then hopefully the reaction would be smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by mama_p View Post
    When I give new (allergy concern) foods, I usually give a small amount first, then gradually build up how much I offer over time. I don't know if it's true, but I figure then hopefully the reaction would be smaller.
    No necessarily - my DS threw up after eating one bite of omelet made with whole eggs. Thowing up is a definite allergy reaction - and if your lo DOES have a reaction after eating a food I STRONGLY recommend stopping giving LO that food and calling your doctor.

My DS had relatively "minor" reactions after eating several foods which I didn't think was that big of a deal, but we talked to our pediatrician and took DS to an allergist. After testing by the allergist, we now carry Benadryl and an EpiPen for DS everywhere you go. You have no way of knowing if the next reaction will be "minor" or life threatening. And - from what I understand, by totally eliminating the foods that we know DS is allergic to we are increasing the probability that he'll out grow some of his food allergies.

I know I sound preachy - but food allergies are very serious and should not be taken lightly.

Back to the original question - I'd offer the new foods in as "pure" a form as possible. You may not intend your LO to be drinking cows milk instead of breastmilk, but drinking cows milk will be the clearest way to see whether or not he'd react.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

We started out with egg yolk omelets (before 1yr) and then at one years old I used the entire egg. I only used a little egg white at first then when I saw no problem used the whole thing. With milk I tried it in his cereal and he had no problems with it. DH has a milk issue so it was great DS didn't.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

You may want to talk to your ped. Ours said to hold off on egg whites until after the MMR vac. (That is if you are vaccinating your lo according to the US vac schedules). The vac contains egg whites so they don't want babies exposed before the vac.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

The major allergen in the egg is in the white. So the recommended start for eggs is start with just the yolk first. If there is no reaction the yolk, then you can give the scrambled eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyG View Post
    You may want to talk to your ped. Ours said to hold off on egg whites until after the MMR vac. (That is if you are vaccinating your lo according to the US vac schedules). The vac contains egg whites so they don't want babies exposed before the vac.
    Ummm ... I think this is incorrect info. My DS is allergic to eggs and as far as I know the only vaccines in the US that contain egg are flu & yellow fever.

Info from the CDC website:
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/vac...ions_guide.pdf

If you have an egg allergy - there is a protocol for doing the flu vaccine. We put alot of thought into this, and since my DS is in preschool and exposed to all sorts of yuck we went ahead with his flu shot. It was done at the allergists office and they first did a skin test using the actual vaccine to see if he'd have a reaction to the egg in the vaccine.
    Last edited by lsksam; November 13th, 2007 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)