Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Chair Suggestion

Default High Chair Suggestion

DD isn't quite ready to start BLS but I can see it won't be too long now. I wanted to start my research early so that I know what I will need to save up for.
    Any great high chair suggestions? Any to stay away from? TIA
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

Default Re: High Chair Suggestion

We just started using the Evenflo expressions chair. Our friends had one and they liked it and it is on the cheaper end of things which is important as we are on a serious budget (usually $60, Kmart just had on sale for $45). No complaints yet and DS actually really seems to like it - I think he is thrilled to be independently hanging out at the same level as we are.

We don't own a highchair per se. We have a booster-type chair that straps to one of our dining chairs, it is a cheapo one, maybe Safety First travel chair or something. My sister has the Fisher Price chair that straps on and she likes it a lot-I think she got it at Target or BRU. They strap-on kind are really nice for smaller spaces. Being a klutz, I always stub my toes on the legs of regular highchairs!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

We were given a handme down high chair that we never used - DS was too small to reach the tray and feed himself, and the highchair didn't fit at our table.

We used one of those "travel" chairs that attach directly to the table and a cool placemat with a "bucket" that caught most of the early learning to eat spills.

placemat

When DS was about 12 or 13 mo we transitioned him to a booster seat so he can sit at the table with everybody else. We've never used a tray with DS.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

The traditional high chairs were too large to fit in our tiny dining room with our twins, so we bought the kind that strap to the dining room chairs, too. They worked great, and were very affordable. My only complaint was that when we went to my MIL's house, her chairs weren't as sturdy, and the boys could get the whole chair rocking. At home, though, no worries. Cameron is still using one of the boosters.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    We don't own a highchair per se. We have a booster-type chair that straps to one of our dining chairs, it is a cheapo one, maybe Safety First travel chair or something. My sister has the Fisher Price chair that straps on and she likes it a lot-I think she got it at Target or BRU. They strap-on kind are really nice for smaller spaces. Being a klutz, I always stub my toes on the legs of regular highchairs!
    I have the fisher price booster seat/highchair. It's portable. The tray isn't very big and food gets caught where the straps come out. It's also too low on our kitchen chair to sit him at the table. But overall it works for a small space and for easy travel.

You can find them at thrift stores, etc. too.Sometimes at the consignment sales I've seen the restaurant style (wooden ones), which I wish I had because they're really stable and easy to clean.

We have the Fisher Price one too, that straps onto the regular chair, and we like it. We needed something that didn't take much space, because there is none to spare.

Yup we have the fisher price one as well. No complaints so far excpet it sits a bit low to the table so we might strap it onto a taller chair. We just don't have room for a big high chair in our eating area and went with a portable option.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

We have this one and we love it. We eventually took the cover off and just left it off because it is just one more thing that would have had to have been washed everyday.

It also comes off the legs and can strap onto a dining room chair for a booster seat. Very handy!

If I were to buy a high chair, I'd look for one where the tray height is adjustable so LO can self feed easily, or where the high chair can be pulled directly up to the table and LO can eat from the table like everybody else. It just seems nice to me to have LO at the table.

If $$ were not an issue, we probably would have bought either a Svan or a Tripp Trapp because they are very adjustable and can be used directly at the table. And I also like the look of the wood.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)