Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is the answer?

Default What is the answer?

So far, I have heard of two different theories for bfing - feed on both sides or feed only on one side. Which one is the right way??

Default Re: What is the answer?

depends.... hows that answer
    do you have a copy of the womanly art of breastfeeding.. its a great start to learning how to nurse.
    That book says
    "in the early days let baby finish at one breast and then offer the other.
    IF the baby is latched on well there is no reason to limit feedings."

Some babies will take both breasts and some will just not.
    And some babies will change how they nurse daily. IF you let them nurse on demand they normaly do a good job.

It depends -- on the age of the baby, how well breastfeeding has been established, whether there are any signs of either insufficient milk or oversupply, etc. etc.

Can you tell us more about your situation so we can help you figure out the approach that will work best for you at this point?

--Rebecca

I have an oversupply issue, I think. But it is slowly getting better. I have a heavy let down and the baby usually takes just one side - but she also latches on and pulls off frequently. She eats for approx 10-15 minutes every 2.5 hours or so and is gaining well.

Here's a little rule of thumb for healthy full term baby: always offer both breasts. Put baby on Breast 1 and let him finish to his heart's content. Burp, maybe change a diaper. If he's asleep, clearly he doesn't want to be eating anymore. If he's awake offer Breast 2. Maybe he'll purse his lips. Maybe he'll suck for 30 seconds and fall asleep. Maybe he'll go for round two! In any event, your just offering it out there. The main thing is to leave him on Breast 1 uninterrupted.

Some moms do switch nursing for a variety of reasons: sleepy baby, baby with no patience for slow faucet, etc. Some moms offer Breast 1 for two feedings in a row: maybe baby has very loose stools, or there's a concern about hindmilk. But for babies who are otherwise doing OK, and mom is doing OK, you can use the rule above if it fits for you!

I keep seeing "put baby on the breast until she's finished" - but what exactly does 'finished mea? And how will I know that she's finished? My apologies if that seems silly. There is just so much to learn

It's not a silly question -- we actually see that one a lot around here! Because you're right -- it can be hard to tell, especially at the newborn stage when they nurse SO frequently and don't do much else in the way of entertainment.

In general, a baby is finished if she comes off the breast contented or falls asleep and switches from active (long sucks/frequent swallows) to non-nutritive or comfort nursing (occasional light sucks/infrequent swallows). This is a very loose rule of thumb, and I think most mom/baby dyads eventually learn their own ways of signalling that the feeding is over.

--Rebecca

Hi! Another rule of thumb is to start baby on the breast that she last ate on. The way I would always remember this is to put a hair band on the wrist of the side I would start on next.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi