Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby bottle

Default Baby bottle

I started back to work last week. I thought DD would be ok with the bottle, but guess what! NOPE. She was on a bottle just fine a couple of months ago (I had surgery in late Sept. and couldn't nurse), I took it away b/c she was refusing the breast. Now she will take it from me half of the time, but will absolutely not take it from DH while I'm at work. She screams and cries. We have tried all of the bottles/nipples. I only work 5 hours 3 evenings a week. I know that she isn't going to starve, I try to tank her up BF before I leave, but she has the crying fits. My first day back, DH called for me to come home and nurse her. The second 2 nights, he brought her up to me, these times, she wouldn't nurse, just smiled at me. I'm worried that she will have problems resulting from her not having her needs met. Am I right to worry, or is it for nothing? Another thought is that she might be teething? She will be 5 mo. at the end of Nov. I don't know what to do. I can't keep stop working to calm her down/nurse her while I"m at work, they have been really lenient so far, but I can't ask them to do it any longer.

Default Re: Baby bottle

Any help? Anyone???? Please!?!

WOW!!! Sorry to hear you are having trouble... I don't have any great suggestions... I hear others say to try different nipples. THe playtex natural latch have worked great for me and others here... does she take a pacifier? Oh, if she teething what about mommy popcicles? That will help her gums and given her some milk
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Anyone else with this prob?? Will baby learn to take the bottle from DH?? Is there anything else I should do to help??

My twins absolutely will NOT take a bottle. I am glad I haven't had to go back to work with them, because I have no idea what we would do. There have been only a few times I have had to be away long enough for it to be an issue, but those times they took milk from a cup, which is also what we used to supplement them when they were newborn preemies.
    My firstborn had latch issues when she was born, and we "finger-fed" her. It was a syringe with a feeding tube. Basically, you hold the feeding tube to the tip of your finger and baby sucks on your finger. As they suck, you can depress the syringe if it is not going fast enough. Major hassle, I know, but... Sometimes we do what we have to do.
    It may also just take some time. I know that right now it is immensely frustrating. My sister-in-law struggled to get both of hers to be willing to take a bottle, but they did pick it up eventually. The key was to be EXTREMELY patient and calm while trying, and to not wait until they were starving to do it.
    Best wishes to you!

Here are some links to alternative feeding devices:

finger feeder

cup
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

What can work for some people is if you wrap a nursing bra that you've worn around the nipple of the bottle. Your scent can make the baby more receptive.

I'm having the same exact issue. I had to go back to work last week and it has been STRESSFUL. My 5 mo. old will not take a bottle. We started rice cereal to hold him over when I can't make it and that has worked, but we can't always give him cereal when he's hungry. My DH called me out of a meeting tonight b/c ds was screaming at the top of his lungs...wouldn't take the bottle or anything. I am going to try to cup feed him to see if he will take it that way and a medicine dropper to put it in his mouth that way. We've been trying a sippy cup, but ds has to suck to get milk out and he just doesn't know how or maybe he just won't. He'll put the bottle nipple and sippy cup in his mouth, but just won't suck.

Good luck. Know that we are in the same boat. Let me know if something works for you and I will do the same.

I imagine you've tried what I'm about to suggest, but just in case... My LO went through a short and fairly uneventful bottle rejection when I went back to work, so I can't fully relate, but we did have to use some tricks...

How about warming up the nipple like you warm up the milk?

Or, what about trying to feed while LO is distracted - before he's hungry? 5 mo may not be old enough for this but just trying some ideas out for you...

It will get much better!
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!

Quote Originally Posted by chipmonkey View Post
    What can work for some people is if you wrap a nursing bra that you've worn around the nipple of the bottle. Your scent can make the baby more receptive.
    I think I will have DH try that. Sounds like a good one to me. I had to work tonight and she screamed and cried all night with DH, refusing the bottle. I know that she is hungry, we just have to figure something out. Do we just have to wait until she learns by herself? She is so sweet, it breaks my heart, I don't know how DH puts up with it, I could NOT do it. Kudos to him for doing it, and all those other dads (& moms) who are going through this.

Tonight we tried giving ds milk through a medicine dropper (bought at walgreens for $3). He drank it. It is not as great/easy as a bottle, but it worked and he got milk into his system. Just a thought. We also fed him from a spoon and it worked as well. We're at the point of trying anything right now, so here are a few more ideas.