Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help- getting milk to "come in"

Default Help- getting milk to "come in"

I gave birth to baby #1 by C-section on Nov 1. By day 6 my baby had lost 18.5 ounces. The pediatrician said I must "top-off with formula" after feeding for 10 minutes on one breast, and then pump the other breast. Because of the scary weight loss, I really couldn't argue about my desire to breast feed. Today is day 12, and my milk really has not "come-in" yet. I can pump about 5ml, but it is a struggle.

Should I be worried that my milk may never "come-in". How can I get it to come in sooner? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Suzy

Default Re: Help- getting milk to "come in"

How have you determined that it hasn't come in? Keep in mind that pumps are not nearly as efficient as babies, so you will likely not be able to pump the same amount that your baby can draw out. Some moms have perfectly good supplies but really struggle to pump anything at all. You also may not be able to feel your letdown, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. Is your LO reaching a point where s/he is taking nice, big swallows? If so, that's a letdown! Is your LO still struggling to gain/maintain weight? If you have concerns, don't hesitate to seek out a LC or LLL leader for help!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

with pp. Not all women notice their milk coming in. Please call a LC or LLL leader. Something they may be able to do is weigh your lo before and after a feed to see what baby is getting. Then if you are still having issues they can provide you with much more help than your pedi can.
    Good luck

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Yes, I also agree with Haley's Mama ...

I had a C-sec a little over two years ago and I remember having HUGE difficulties for the first two weeks. I had such unbearable pain, I was not able to hold may daughter to my breast, so I had to pump-and-feed her around the clock. After those first two weeks, when I was finally able to control the holding positions, she refused to latch on, so we had another problem, but we presisted. Pretty insane, but well worth it. My advice to you: DO NOT GIVE UP, no matter what "they" tell you.

Also, aside from a ton of patience, what really helped me was Fenugreek capsules and Mother's Milk tea. They can be found at most health food stores, and both support healthy lactation. I remember the only downside was that Fenugreek made me smell a little weird, a little maple-syroupish, but otherwise it was of invaluable help.

Good luck to you and keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by suzy021372 View Post
    I gave birth to baby #1 by C-section on Nov 1. By day 6 my baby had lost 18.5 ounces.
    What was your baby's birth weight? Lowest weight? Weight now?

About how many wet and poopy diapers did your baby have per day before the formula top offs? Now?

The pediatrician said I must "top-off with formula" after feeding for 10 minutes on one breast, and then pump the other breast. Because of the scary weight loss, I really couldn't argue about my desire to breast feed.

How long have you been nursing only 10 minutes at a time? When latched on, can you hear your baby suck and swallow?

Today is day 12, and my milk really has not "come-in" yet. I can pump about 5ml, but it is a struggle.
    What type of pump are you using? Have you tried hand expression?

Did you lose a lot of blood during the birth? When you were pregnant, did your breasts change size at all?

Should I be worried that my milk may never "come-in". How can I get it to come in sooner? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    If your milk indeed has not "came-in", that is a little concerning. Would you be able to see an IBCLC? Have you called your local LLL Leader?

LO was 6 pounds 9oz at birth, and was down to 5lbs 5.5 oz at 6 day check up. He was also very jaundices, with a bilirubin of 17, which fell to 14 after supplementing. I don't go back to pediatrician until day 15 (Thursday).

Pediatrician said to only nurse 10 minutes, because LO was too tired to suck when I would try to move to second breast. I am using the Ameda pump. I pump the side that was not nursed, and then get anything I can out of the one that was...which totals about 5ml. I have been squeezing the breast while pumping (sorry...can't remember all the terminology...I am new to this).

LO is now urinating regularly, which he did not during the 1st week. However, BM's are still infrequent...it has been 2.5 days.

I am devestated that I am starving my baby, because I want to do this so badly! I am trying to "stick with it"...but what if the milk doesn't come? How often does that happen? I don't think I can keep up BFing, pumping, and supplementing indefinitely...

Thanks for your help and support.

my lo also had jaundice and she couldnt latch on in the beginning either. So I pumped and fed to keep better track and bec I had to feed her when she slept, she wouldnt wake up ALL DAY even to feed...there were times I wanted to give up too, but was determined to stick to it..i thought Id never get too this point!!! If you are determined, the first two-three weeks are the longest, i didnt believe when people told me i would look back and laugh at how i thought i wasnt goin to get through it!! But if you have a good pump ( i use the medela, dont knwo anything about yours) it makes all the difference, I convinced myself that as long as she was getting bm, what diff does it make if it is from me or the bottle!! Then ...guess what ...at two months when my supply was low, i started taking fenugreek (doubled my supply...def recc.) I wanted to see if she would latch on, just for the heck of it, and SHE DID!!! I never thought she would!! She just needed to be older and better at sucking!! please dont think if she cant latch on, its over, there are ways to do it and who knows in a week, a month maybe your lo will latch on too!!

Good luck!
    Hope my LONG story helps!!
    -Katie

LO was 6 pounds 9oz at birth, and was down to 5lbs 5.5 oz at 6 day check up. He was also very jaundices, with a bilirubin of 17, which fell to 14 after supplementing. I don't go back to pediatrician until day 15 (Thursday).

Pediatrician said to only nurse 10 minutes, because LO was too tired to suck when I would try to move to second breast.
    If a baby is only allowed to nurse for 10 minutes, or only allowed to nurse on one side for 10 minutes and then switched, it could lead to baby not getting enough milk. Here's an explanation of why:
    http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...s/3course.html

Your situation is somewhat different--your baby was losing weight, and calories needed to be preserved. It's worth noting, though, that 10 minutes might not be enough time for your baby to take in much milk OR to stimulate your milk production.

Does your baby latch on well? Do you hear swallowing when he nurses?

I am using the Ameda pump. I pump the side that was not nursed, and then get anything I can out of the one that was...which totals about 5ml. I have been squeezing the breast while pumping (sorry...can't remember all the terminology...I am new to this).
    We know what you meant. Compressions are GREAT! When your baby nurses, do you use compressions then, too?

LO is now urinating regularly, which he did not during the 1st week. However, BM's are still infrequent...it has been 2.5 days.
    Is your baby gaining weight now? How many total ounces of supplement is he taking per day?

I am devestated that I am starving my baby, because I want to do this so badly!
    You're not starving your baby.

I am trying to "stick with it"...but what if the milk doesn't come?
    Could you tell us more about your birth experience? Did you lose a lot of blood? Did your breasts change during pregnancy?

How often does that happen? I don't think I can keep up BFing, pumping, and supplementing indefinitely...
    It doesn't happen often.

There is help out there! Please call your local IBCLC and LLL Leader for support. The sooner the better!

Have you considered supplementing at the breast? That would cut out one step (topping off) AND help boost your milk production.

Answering your questions:

My c-section was uneventful, as far as blood-loss and other complications. LO was born at 37 weeks jestation. Breasts increased in size and tenderness during pregnancy, but only about 1/2 a cup size.

LO is latching on well (when not fussing) and is sucking, but I am uncertain of how much sucking vs. swallowing is happening. I can hear him swallow when on the bottle, but not on the breast.

I have started letting him suck for longer than the 10 minutes, as long as he is actively sucking. When pumping the other breast I am getting up to 10ml (although sometimes less). After taking one breast I give him up to 2oz of formula. Usually he takes more than one ounce, but rarely two. I am feeding every 2-3 hours, depending on his sleep patterns.

I am pretty sure that LO has begun putting on weight since beginning supplements, jaundice looks better. Again, I go to the pediatricain on Thursday.

Still waiting for my suppy to come in...today is day 13.

Sometimes there is a physical reason for low milk production, which is something to see your OB about (especially after talking to someone in person.)