Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the best supplements to take to re-lactate?

TaraRenee is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default What are the best supplements to take to re-lactate?

We've been going through a LOT of things lately and unfortunately, I haven't been breastfeeding for a little while. It was going great for the first 6 weeks other than some minor trouble, which is normal, I'm sure.... but he's 11 weeks old now and I'd really like to have a full milk supply and exclusively BF him again. Do those herbal supplements like "fenugreek"? (is that it?? ) really work?? I still have milk when I squeeze them but not much..

Default Re: What are the best supplements to take to re-lactate?

milk is a great sign. Vanne who is on here often re lactated im sure she has some info for you. I dont know if its my hormones or what but im sitting here crying a little bit. I know exactly what you are going through. The desire to nurse your baby when you cant is painful and the feeling you have is indescribable. Just know that you can get through it. You may take a few steps forward and a few back but if you stick with it you can breastfeed again. Have you heard of a nursing moon/vacation?
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Hi,

Take a look at the sticky at the top of this forum. It has lots of good information that could help you.

It hasn't been too long since you stopped breastfeeding, and your baby is quite young, so there is a good chance that you would be able to relactated without supplements. There are mothers on this forum who have relacted both with and without galactogogues. You can read through the archives for more information, and I'm sure some of these mothers will post their experiences for you now, too.

Whenever you use herbal or prescription galactogogues, it is important to consult with an IBCLC, qualified herbalist, or other supportive healthcare provider.

The best way to get your milk production back up is to get your baby nursing again. Offer baby lots of opportunities to nurse, preferably before he is ravinously hungry. Give him lots of skin to skin contact, and keep him very close to you to encourage his instinct to latch on and nurse. Many moms find it very helpful to use a sling or other soft carrier while keeping baby dressed in just a diaper, while wearing an open shirt without a bra. Bathing or showering with baby can help too.

Between nursing sessions, or as an alternative to nursing if baby will not latch, hand expression and/or pumping can be used. A high quality double electric hospital grade pump is often recommended for relactating mothers. You can contact your local hospital about pump rental. If you qualify for WIC, you may be able to obtain a pump for free or at very little cost. Contact your local WIC/human services department office for more information.

I wish you all the best with your relactation efforts. You are in great company! This forum has several actively relactation mothers on it right now, and several more who are exclusively breastfeeding again. Their support will be invaluable to you. You can do it!

Tiana

Good for you!

The best way to relactate is to start removing milk. The more frequently and fully, the better.

Keep us updated!

Not much to add to previous posts except some 's

I'm pretty nervous about taking supplemets. I would suggest to first try a baby honeymoom and taking baths with baby first.

Not taking supplements, electric pump or using an SNS definitely has downsides: there was no laundry, housework, cooking anything done in my house for 2 months. After I got my milk back it was but I wouldn't have had it any other way!

Good luck and
    Last edited by @llli*vanne; November 8th, 2007 at 12:45 AM.

Vanne, even using a double pump, SNS, etc, etc, there is no laundry, food or housework getting done by me at my house! My husband and children feel like they are on slave duty. (Actually, it is getting better now that he is nursing and I am only pumping immediately following a feeding).

TaraRenee -- YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Your baby is young enough that your hormones are already on your side. I started when my baby was 4 months old and I am well on my way. Just think, three weeks from today, you could be exclusively breastfeeding your baby. It is such a myth that you can't. It is 100% worth the effort. Do not rob yourself of this.

You have milk -- just getting it out tells your body to make more. Remember the 80%/20% rule. Your boby knows it is making the right amount when 80% of the milk is removed and 20% remains. If you are getting 90% out your body is going to make more the next time. My body has moved from a single drop to somewhere around 15-20 oz in five weeks -- and from what I can tell, I am a slow relactator! Do it, do it, do it!!! You will be so proud.

Quote Originally Posted by relactatingmomforthelord View Post
    Vanne, even using a double pump, SNS, etc, etc, there is no laundry, food or housework getting done by me at my house! My husband and children feel like they are on slave duty. (Actually, it is getting better now that he is nursing and I am only pumping immediately following a feeding).

TaraRenee -- YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Your baby is young enough that your hormones are already on your side. I started when my baby was 4 months old and I am well on my way. Just think, three weeks from today, you could be exclusively breastfeeding your baby. It is such a myth that you can't. It is 100% worth the effort. Do not rob yourself of this.

You have milk -- just getting it out tells your body to make more. Remember the 80%/20% rule. Your boby knows it is making the right amount when 80% of the milk is removed and 20% remains. If you are getting 90% out your body is going to make more the next time. My body has moved from a single drop to somewhere around 15-20 oz in five weeks -- and from what I can tell, I am a slow relactator! Do it, do it, do it!!! You will be so proud.
    Thank you so much for your kind words and motivation! Do I need a stronger pump to re-lactate than Ive used in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
    I would suggest to first try a baby honeymoom and taking baths with baby first.
    ?? babymoom?

Oatmeal and lots of water always helped my supply!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TaraRenee View Post
    ?? babymoom?
    Babymoon, sometimes referred to as a nursing vacation--basically, you retreat to bed with your baby to do little else but nurse, nurse, nurse for a few days--giving baby lots of skin-to-skin contact, snuggling, and enjoying your baby. It's good to have a side table of some sort set up with a pitcher of water or juice, some healthy snacks, and maybe a good book or two.

This works very well in many cases where mothers have experienced a dip in milk production, or where baby has never nursed well to begin with, etc.

Give it a try, if you can!

Tiana