Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Change in milk

Default Change in milk

Last week my breasts became swollen and extremely sensitive, this week my milk supply seems very low and my 6 month old is not very interested in nursing. I decided to pump today to try and keep my supply up but I got very little from one breast, and only a half teaspoon of very thick, sticky, yellow milk from the other. Could this have been anything other than colostrum, possibly some sort of infection?

Default Re: Change in milk

Are you currently pregnant? 6 months seems a bit far out for colostrum otherwise...?
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Well, that's kind of what I'm wandering. I haven't had a period since little man was born. But I didn't know what else it could be...or why.

The milk doesn't usually revert back to colostrum until you're around 26-28 wks pregnant.
    Are you having any fever or flu-like symptoms?

Sometimes a clogged duct can cause the milk to be thick or sticky like that. It might also be an infection in the breast. I suggest you talk to your doctor about this.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!