Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dr. Brown's breast pump

Default Dr. Brown's breast pump

Hi,

Has anyone had a problem with the electric Dr. Brown's breast pump? Mine seems to have lost most of it's power. I went on the babies r us website to read the reviews on it, and it doesn't even show up anymore. They were listing the Dr. Brown's customer service number. So that tells me there's been problems. I called and they are sending me a new motor. I am hoping this is why I haven't been getting much milk when I pump.

I was just wondering if anyone else has this pump and is experiencing problems with it. I also wanted to get the word out about it.

Karen

Default Re: Dr. Brown's breast pump

Moving this thread to "Pumping".

Tiana

I don't think that's a good pump. The label claims that "one way airflow" is a good thing, but IMO, you really need the suck and release mechanism to get good milk flow, a baby doesn't continuously suck. I haven't used it myself but I remember when I took my bf class we talked about choosing a good pump and the LCs there said you really have to have one that sucks and realeases several times a minute or you won't get much milk. I think you'd have much better luck getting a better pump, if you plan to be pumping a lot a double electric pump is the best choice, (Ameda Purely Yours, Medela PIS or Medela PIS-advanced). The 2-phase expression on the Medela PIS-advanced is really good at getting your milk to let down, but it's the priciest pump on the marker. Medela also recently released a single electric pump with 2-phase expression called the Swing that might be a good option if you can't afford the double electric pump.

The Dr. Brown's pump is a design from Whittlestone (makers of Whittlestone Breast Expressor).

These pumps work differently than vacuum style pumps. The suction is gentle. The pump works with a massaging action vs a vacuum action. At one time, Whittlestone was very popular with adoptive/relactating mothers because it feels more like a baby nursing than traditional pumps, and it's gentler on the areola, too. I haven't heard much about the Dr. Brown's pump, but I can say with confidence that any single electric pump is going to be less effective than a full size electric version.

I only used the manual one but I broke it at the beginning because I was using it more then a manual was supposed to use. But I miss that pump!! I let down and got so much more milk back then. Cause I think my breasts need to be stimulated... but oh well. I'm jealous that you got an electric one... I hope the new motor helps!

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I received the new motor and it's much stronger now. I do get more milk, and quicker. Still not as much as I'd like, but I guess it's the best I can hope for with a single pump. I am going to check with my insurance to see if they will pay for a hospital grade pump rental. I don't have the money to purchase a double pump.

The Dr. Brown's customer service was very nice though. I received the new motor in two days, along with a hand written note apologizing for any inconvenience.

I just hope this one doesn't wear out again.

Karen

My insurance won't cover a hospital grade pump, but they did pay for a double electric. I got the PISA, and I was able to pump exclusively for my daughter for 3 months. (She started nursing today, so I won't be using it much now YAY!)
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth