Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hindmilk

Default Hindmilk

I was wondering once you have pumped and the milk has settled how much of a difference is there in separation?
    The amount of milk I can pump has thankfully seemed to be increasing but once it settles the thicker hindmilk seems to very very little by looking at the separation of the milk.
    Could there be a problem?
    I question this because I am currently dealing with a weight gain issue with my son and was told by our pediatrician to be giving 50/50 formula and my milk for 1 week and to then come back for another weight check.
    I know with pumping it is no indication of milk supply as in how much you have but what about if there is very little hindmilk? Can this be found with pumping?
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Default Re: Hindmilk

I have to pump at work for my lo's needs at dc. I usually get about 1/4 to 1/2 inch (1/2 oz or so) of the fat at the top of a 4 oz bottle. Bottom 1-2 oz is watery and bluish, next 1-2 oz. is white-ish and the top fat is about 1/2- 1 oz. My lo has good weight gain - she is not chubby, but not having any weight gain issues. Hope that helps.

Amy

Thanks, no matter how much I pump it always seems to be about a 1/2 to 1/4 inch of the fatty milk on top and the rest is very white like cows milk.
    Christine

Wife to Eddie. <3

It takes a day or more of settling for mine to show this watery/blue and other separation. For the first up to 24 hrs or so, mine looks whitish like cow's milk or formula, too. I think it sounds like your milk consistency if fine to me

Amy

Thanks!!
    Christine

Wife to Eddie. <3

ITA... I get more fat when I pump after he has fed
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)