Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: my mother-in-law...

Default my mother-in-law...

hi ladies. i've been lurking for a little while but i feel compelled to let you all know what my mother-in-law said to me this weekend. a little background on her...she made her daughter feel horrible to quitting bf after a few weeks and tries to make me feel horrible because i haven't weaned my 12mo son. she crazy! carter has been going through some separation anxiety lately and he started to cry when she went to change his diaper. she kicked me out of the room saying its my fault because he cries when he sees me.
    and then she uttered the following sentence: "the PROBLEM with breastfeeding is that you have created this IMMENSE BOND with the baby". i'm not even kidding she actually said this. i thought it would give you all a laugh!!!

Default Re: my mother-in-law...

Oh, that's a classic line. I'm so glad you can laugh at it -- I'm chuckling too, from the safety of distance.

I have a friend who was breastfeeding and went back to work. She told me that her childcare provider complained that the baby wanted to be held a lot, and blamed it on the breastfeeding.

The message is always the same: By breastfeeding, you are giving your baby the idea that his needs actually matter. How dare you?!?! Your actions make life so hard for the rest of our detached-parenting society, I'm sure.

--Rebecca

I have such a hard time imagining why anyone would think there is anything wrong with having an IMMENSE BOND with your baby! For me BF and AP are so incredibly natural that I can't imagine any other way.

I'm new here - it is so awesome to have found a forum full of women who are on the same page as I am!! I have been lurking around for quite some time and LOVE reading your posts! My baby is 7 months old and I can't wait to say I have made it to 1 year. However long we go after that - will likely be up to my son.

Oh yuck! I'm so sorry you have to deal with that! I just want to let you know you're not alone. My MIL as well is a royal pain in a similar sense. She says similar things and likes to treat my daughter like she's a dog. Just recently my daughter asked to nurse and so I got up and said we were going to go nurse and my MIL stepped in my way in the doorway and said, "Nah" and proceeded to try and distract my daughter. Anyway, I'm glad you have the strength to "ignore" her!

Quote Originally Posted by kms
    Just recently my daughter asked to nurse and so I got up and said we were going to go nurse and my MIL stepped in my way in the doorway and said, "Nah" and proceeded to try and distract my daughter.
    SHE GOT SOME NERVES !!! I dare somebody to try to stop me from nursing MY baby! Sorry you have to deal with that KMS. Keep up your good work!
    p.s. Fortunately I've a good MIL

Oh dear, MIL can be terrible.
    My MIL is totally anti-BF, anti-AP as well. She will express her doubts about all the choices me make for our son.
    I feel like she is having sleepless nights, because she doesn't have full control over us. Her problem - not mine

Basically, she feels BFing is spoiling our little boy and that he has to be toughened up OVER MY DEAD BODY, yeah!?

It's good that you can laugh at it, though. It's not always easy.

Let's just hope that we learn a lesson here and that we will be more respectful towards our DIL when the time comes....

Quote Originally Posted by SherryLuke'sMom
    I have such a hard time imagining why anyone would think there is anything wrong with having an IMMENSE BOND with your baby! For me BF and AP are so incredibly natural that I can't imagine any other way.
    Because they are jealous? Many of our parent's generation did not BF let alone AP. They think it's wrong. A BB (Breastfed Baby) cannot be dropped for a week at the grandparents for them to play with it or raise it the *proper* way.

my MIL is the same way she thinks its "gross", that I still breastfeed my 18 month old, and gets angry that I won't leave her over night with her. Today she is sposed to pick the girls up from my aunts to have them for the day...but she won't give the baby expressed Momma Milk, (not that I have much now anyway), but I will make sure to get off early to give the baby a boobie. I swear sometimes I wonder about these women who do not support breastfeeding. My neighbor asked me "don't you want your body to be yours again", My response "they already own my heart...once one more piece of my body"?

"whats one more piece of my body" OOPS

I was on another forum when Breastfeeding came up so naturally I was intrigued until I realized that these women were against BF after about 6 months.

They spoke mostly at how disgusting it was that women actually BF up to a year or longer. I was shocked. Becuase they were talking like BF was an intolerable but nessissary duty they had to perform. Like BF thier child was inconvientant. It took me several days to think up a proper reply to that. I didn't want to post something as ignorant as they did. But after I made my post they girls stopped saying how disgusting it was to BF thier babies until they were 6 months old.