Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dip during period

Default Dip during period

Hi friends,

I've observed a dip every month during my periods. Can you guys suggest what is the best way to handle this? Should I suppliment as needed by the baby(when he acts hungry) or should I continue nursing him more often without supplimenting,similar to what we do during a growth spurt?

VishMom

Default Re: Dip during period

I would just nurse, nurse, nurse, as often as he'll let you. You might also want to try some things to keep your supply up, like oatmeal. I had a couple dips in the last months, and I ate at least one serving of oatmeal every day until I felt like I was back where I should be. That, and I offered the breast as often as I possibly could. My supply returned in full force a week or so later. Good luck!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I agree with Gretchen. Nurse, nurse, nurse!! I have a significant drop prior to and during my period. During that time I usually make especially sure I'm drinking enough and usually also take fenugreek to boost my supply. Eating oatmeal helps too. Other than that I try really hard (easier said than done!) to remind myself that it will get better in a few days.

Thanks for your advice guys! I'll nurse as mush as I can and if he still acts hungry after a while then only I'll suppliment him. I read somewhere that calcium and magnesium/zinc suppliments do help. Has anyone tried these?

We just went through this! my period just returned and my normally suffiecient supply practically disappeared, I was devestated! But the ladies on here were very supportive! It took 4 days but my supply is back, yeah! I nursed all day every day as much as he would, and when he wouldnt, I pumped! Alot! and when my supply was almost nonexistent, I offered ebm and even finally formula, which my LO was not crazy about! I did buy Fenugreek though and next month a few days before I will start taking them and I will be prepared! Also i will boost a freezer stash so I will have something for him if/when it happens again! Good luck to you!

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies. I'll stick with what you guys said