Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: blisters at nipple/areola junction from pumping

Default blisters at nipple/areola junction from pumping

I've been working for 2 weeks, & thus double-pumping more (every 3-4 hrs) than I pumped before returning to work. I didn't have any blisters when pumping 1-2x/day & breastfeeding my baby. By Friday of each week, I've had a couple of blisters at the junction of the nipple/areola from pumping. I have a couple of theories, but I'm looking for some help...

I think that it might have been from pumping for 20-30 min instead of 10-15?? I've tried a size 27 mm instead of 24 mm flange, but it didn't seem to help - I got less milk. I thought maybe the blisters occured because some milk flowed back toward me & broke the seal??? - so I try to lean forward a bit. Once the letdown stops, the breast gets a little floppy in the flange & there's more of a tapping sound. So, I generally stop because this seems to be the likely time when friction could break down the skin??? But, I'm not meeting my baby's need with pumping with only one letdown. I need to increase the time, but this may increase the chance of blister re-occurance. Any suggestions?

Default Re: blisters at nipple/areola junction from pumping

If there's at least 1/4" between your nipple and the flange during pumping it's probably not an issue with the size of the flange. I actually do get a lot of nipple pain if I pump more than 20min, so I limit my pumping sessions to 15-20min, and am careful to keep it at a setting that causes no discomfort. If you're having trouble getting enough milk it's better to pump more often rather than longer, so instead of pumping for 30min pump two sessions of 15min each, that's what will help boost your supply.

I got that too. My LC said to try using olive oil on the nipple and areola, and that helped a lot.

Thanks for replying so far... I'm experimenting with different things & I'll let you all know what I figure out. I had consult with a LC, & I'll let you all know what ends up working.