Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When do babies start sleeping through the night?

Default Re: When do babies start sleeping through the night?

Hi.....sleeping through the night is a very individual thing, eatch baby is diferent...

I think it´s not good to compare our babies with others....what is the point? My baby is 9 months old and wakes up 1-2 times to nurse during the night sleeping the longest strech 5-6 hours straight....(by definition, he IS SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT....only that it´s a baby´s night... )

I guess every child will reach a point when they will sleep for 10 hours straight, but as it is a milestones, it should not be rushed by CIO methods....my opinion.
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

My son is almost 16 months old and sleeps through the night only when we are away from home (I have no idea why ) and he wakes up sometimes every hour when we are at home. But I think the general rule is after 6 weeks, you can let them sleep as much as they want at night and 5-6 hour stretches count as sleeping through the night. If they wake up frequently to feed though, that should be seen normal until 1 year. After 1 year, they really should be sleeping through the night (someone tell this to my son!!!)

I think its a totally individual thing, each baby is different. My LO is a toddler and has slept through about 5 times. By this I mean from bedtime until around 6 am. That only started happening around 1 1/2 years old. But its not consistent.

Although I hear many babies sleep longer earlier, like PP's have said! Here's hoping yours will!
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Babies sleep through the night??? My lo is 14 months old and still doesn't sleep through the night.

At 2.5 months, Baby Peter started sleeping about 7.5 hours straight. He wakes up only once in the night (goes to bed at 7pm, wakes up for the day at 7am). I feel lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyPeter View Post
    At 2.5 months, Baby Peter started sleeping about 7.5 hours straight. He wakes up only once in the night (goes to bed at 7pm, wakes up for the day at 7am). I feel lucky.
    You are SO lucky. I hope it lasts for you!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

As to when to start not having to wake them in the night...
    The pediatrician sister-in-law (who is a BFing mom of 3) of my dear friend says to let them sleep at 5 weeks. I did this with DS, now 8 mos. She was a big sleeeper, so I still woke her up after several (7ish) hours for my own comfort.

My LO is 6 weeks and has been doing 3-4 hour stretches for the last few weeks. He had one 5 hour stretch a few days ago and has been waking more frequently at night since that long stretch (it was a teaser I guess)!

My dd slept through the night at about 6months (8:30-7:30) and at 2 is still a fabulous sleeper adn rarely wakes in the night, only occasinally to use the restroom, and ds is now 6.5 months and wakes once (usually!) during his 7:30-7:30. As far as the when can you let them sleep ?, i asked my ped with ds bc he was a big sleeper and he said it was ok to let him sleep once he regained his birth weight (but ds was a BIG baby!) I think htey are not suppoed to go longer than 5-6 hours the first 5-6 weeks or so. DS has been sleeping at least one 7-8 hr stretch since 8 weeks (with lots of exceptions!)

My ds has slept through the night ( what we consider night) a few times and others he gets up. He is 10.5 months old. Sorry I am not much help!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."