Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When do babies start sleeping through the night?

Default When do babies start sleeping through the night?

I know this is different for each baby, but whats the average age where babies start sleeping for longer periods of time...or through the night?

Or when is it safe for you to allow them to sleep through the night...

My LO would sleep through the night if I had let her the first few nights of her life, and now at 2weeks, she wakes up regularly to eat...

I don't mind that, but I am looking forward to the days or well nights, when I can sleep through again...

New mommy is just curious!

Default Re: When do babies start sleeping through the night?

Like you said every baby is different. DD1 slept through the night at 2 months and DD2 slept through the night around 3-4 months.

DS was a couple days shy of 3 months.
    DD was a week shy of 3 months.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

My son is 11 months and he wakes up twice during the night. They start waking when they are sick or teething!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

My DD didn't get consistent until she was around 9-10 months old. And of course the teething causes more disruptions. I gave up on a good nights sleep while still preggo with her! I'm just now getting them back again. Too bad I'm preggo again and #2 is due soon. Then, back to the heavy concealer under the eyes.......
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Depends on how you define it. The medical world defines it as a 4-5 hour stretch. It seems like culturely people are often looking for staying asleep from the time they go down until they are up for the day. DS is 21 month old and still wakes and nurses at least once or twice a night, but he often sleeps a 4-6 hour stretch and has for some time.

Sleep? Through the night? What, exactly, is that? It is a foreign term to me.

Seriously, though, Haley is 6.5 months old and usually wakes 2-3 times each night. She usually goes for one decent stretch (4-5 hours). More recently she went through a week and a half of waking 6, 7, 8 ... I don't know, I lost count. A lot. The only way I got sleep was to keep her in bed with me so I could help her get latched on to nurse and then go back to sleep. (She normally sleeps in a crib in our room, but not in our bed.) Thank goodness for co-sleeping!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Morgan started to sleep through the night occasionally around 9 months, but we made her CIO. She is three and wakes up at least once a night for a potty run.

Zach is 16 months and has yet to sleep through. For babies "sleeping through the night" is defined as sleeping 5 straight hours. Zach's max has been 4.5 hours and he's only done that a handful of times.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

My dd started sleeping through the night at around 7 weeks, but then a couple weeks later, she started waking again. She's now 3.5 months old, and she wakes once a night, at which point I bring her into bed w/ me to nurse, and we sleep till morning. We are part-time co-sleepers!

one of mine was 6 years old. He didn't sleep all night untill we brought a new baby home. Then he started to wet the bed.
    I would much rather them get up then wet the bed,thats hard.
    My dd is 4 and she has sleep all night on a few nights in her whole life.
    IT runs in our family.