Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thawing milk

Question Thawing milk

I am sure this has been posted before but I am thawing my milk as I return to work tomorrow. What is the best way to thaw it? Can I just put the frozen bags in the fridge and then make up the bottles tomorrow morning (or tonight??--How long does it take to thaw??) or do I have to put them under hot water to thaw?? And how long is the thawed milk good for? I've read 24 hours but is that 24 hours from when I take it out of the freezer to be thawed or 24 hours once it has been thawed and is in bottles? Oh--and can I combine bags?? Say I pumped and froze a bag on Friday, can I combine it with a frozen bag from Saturday? Thanks..I am a confused mommy!
    Sarah, mom of :
    Allie Shannon-8-31-07--7lbs. 1 oz

Default Re: Thawing milk

You can thaw the bags both of those ways. However, if it were me, and I were thawing milk to be used the next day, I'd take the freezer bags out the night before and thaw them in the refridgerator. I would save the thawing under running water for when I were preparing a bottle to be used immediately or within the next few hours. And when you do thaw them under running water, put them under cool water first and gradually increase the temperature until the milk is room temp or warm for baby.

The thawed milk is good for 24 hours from when it finished thawing, not from when you took it from the freezer. Just make sure that if baby doesn't drink it right away, put it in the fridge. Baby can finish what he/she started one time, but then it has to be tossed (this is why we freeze in small 1-2 oz quantities - little to no waste of the precious stuff!).

Yes, you can combine frozen bags. You can even combine refridgerated milk with frozen milk. It doesn't matter if they were pumped on different days. You just can't mix fresh room temp milk with frozen until you have chilled it first in the fridge.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: Thawing milk

Quote Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post
    You can thaw the bags both of those ways. However, if it were me, and I were thawing milk to be used the next day, I'd take the freezer bags out the night before and thaw them in the refridgerator. I would save the thawing under running water for when I were preparing a bottle to be used immediately or within the next few hours. And when you do thaw them under running water, put them under cool water first and gradually increase the temperature until the milk is room temp or warm for baby.

The thawed milk is good for 24 hours from when it finished thawing, not from when you took it from the freezer. Just make sure that if baby doesn't drink it right away, put it in the fridge. Baby can finish what he/she started one time, but then it has to be tossed (this is why we freeze in small 1-2 oz quantities - little to no waste of the precious stuff!).

Yes, you can combine frozen bags. You can even combine refridgerated milk with frozen milk. It doesn't matter if they were pumped on different days. You just can't mix fresh room temp milk with frozen until you have chilled it first in the fridge.
    Thanks!!
    Sarah, mom of :
    Allie Shannon-8-31-07--7lbs. 1 oz