Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No rest for the wicked!!!

Default No rest for the wicked!!!

Hi, I'm new to this board, but am so glad that I found it. I am the bleary eyed mom of a 3 1/2 month old girl and a 6 year old boy. The problem that I am having lately is the complete lack of sleep. My daughter seems to think that it's a crime to sleep. In a normal 24 hour period, I am lucky if she sleeps 8-10 of those hours. I have tried co-sleeping, but she literally is up every hour wanting nurse. I have put her in her crib, and it takes her forever to settle down enough for sleep. I do not do the CIO stuff-more of a Dr. Sears kind of girl here. I BF my son for a year, and plan to do that with my girl, but I honestly think that the lack of sleep is affecting my supply. Any suggestions on what else I can to do get a little more rest?

Jenn

Default Re: No rest for the wicked!!!

Hello there! So baby isn't sleeping well...Could be any number of reasons. She could be having a growth spurt and needing to nurse frequently, she could just be an active baby who thinks sleep is boring ( my son was like that for a while. Now he's so active he makes himself exhausted lol ) she could even be teething a little bit, or ( and this is the LEAST likely of scenarios ) your milk supply may not be meeting her needs just yet. When I got pregnant with DS#2, my son was around 3 months old. By the time he was almost 6 months he stopped sleeping at night because he was too hungry to sleep. So it never hurts to take a pregnancy test just to rule it out.
    In the meantime, continue nursing on demand, co-sleeping, taking naps whenever baby does- even if its only for ten minutes. Every little bit counts!
    Make sure your fluid intake is good, no alcohol or caffeine, and if you'd like try some Fenugreek or mother's milk tea to boost your supply. Another thing that can help out with supply is pumping. The best time to pump for most moms is early in the morning after baby's first feeding.
    Take it easy and get some rest!

I don't know what CIO stands for but if you haven't got the book "happiest baby on the block" I'd reccomend it. It talks about putting 5 tried and true techniques together to get your baby to calm down in minutes and then usually eat and sleep. It also expalins why it works.
    ANother thing that works for our family that I set up early on when I was dying and has become part of our daily routine, is a two hour block daily that's always the same where my husband has my son. I pump so if my husband needs to feed him, he can do it without me. It's two hours a day that I can count on for me time. We set it up so that it's the stretch right before my husband goes to bed because in the beginning I thought it best for my survival that I get a nap after dinner and before the night began. Now I use it to pay bills, shower, whatever.
    Two other things that changed my life were night night diapers and a wrap. It doesn't sound like your baby is sleeping in blocks at all. By co-sleeping and finding a diaper that I trusted not to leak thru the night, I was able to get him to start sleeping thru the night at about five weeks. That was early. But it's a HUGE difference not to have to get up every 3 to 4 hours. Not only does your child not get all the way riled, but then even if you have to nurse, your not "up". If you haven't already masterd side lye nursing can a LC to help you with that. Then you can train your baby when sleep time is.
    The 2nd thing a wrap, had the same kind of impact on our life. It offered a way to pacify the child "hands free". So I could get myself something to eat, put away dishes, put away laundry while baby was with me. (He is ALWAYS happy when we wear him) And as an added bonus, especially at the age your baby is, they generally fall asleep in the wrap in minutes.
    Hope some of it helps. I belong to two Momy groups and sleep issues are the #1 topic all the time. We feel your pain.

I have done some reading this time around-thought maybe I forgot some things in the last 6 years. I did read the happiest baby on the block, and it was very helpful in the early weeks. However, with Abbey, the problem really isn't her being fussy, or grouchy. She just seems incapable of any "long term" sleep. The most I am able to get out of her at night is about 3-4 hours. Yes, I realize that's not bad, and I'm okay with that. The problem is that after the first block, she's up several more times!!!
    Guess I am just feeling pretty frustrated. I have to remind myself not to have too many expectations from her. I'm a seasoned pro at nursing, and have pumped to check my milk supply, which seems fine. Could be I just am blessed with a very intelligent girl, who'd rather be awake and alert than asleep!!!
    Thanks for the advice ladies and the words of encouragemnet.

Jenn

I would post it in the Sleep forum http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/f...splay.php?f=35

you may get more replies there

does she nap alot during the day? Maybe she is ready to go from 2 naps to one nap? I don't know.. Some babies too will reverse cycle and nurse all night long, and then not nurse much during the day. Maybe that's the problem.
    And then some kids just do not sleep one of mine didn't sleep all night untill he was about 6.. and then he started to wet his bed. I would much rather they get up then wet the bed, that's a pain..
    do you take a nap during the day? My dd is almost 3 and I still lay down with her during the day and rest.. some days we don't take a nap but we do have a quiet time while the tv is on.