Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful Plugged Duct

Unhappy Painful Plugged Duct

It's in my right breast started noticing more on Thursday. By Friday I was in so much pain I had DH come home from work early to help with holding, burping etc.

I can barely raise my right arm above my head without pain.

There is no redness, no swelling, and no fever.

I put baby on the right breast as soon as he wake up and has the strongest suck. After a while though he'll just whine and tug a lot, which is painful but he seems uncomfortable on that side.

He's fine on the left side which ironically does have some red spots but no lumps or pain, LOL.

When I am done nursing I pump on the highest setting I can stand and try and work the "pain" out. Only a couple of times have I gotten some thicker discharge but only very minute amounts, but some is better than nothing.

I do put hot compresses on it and last night I soaked my breast in hot water as well massaging the lump and soreness.

I just can't pinpoint where the lump or clog is. It seems like it is behind my nipple as that's where I think I can feel the lump and it's where I have the most pain. Latching is horribly painful but I know it's not thrush. I've dealth with that so much that I am positive it's not that. Plus it'd be on my left side by now if it was.

What more can I do? Does drinking more water help? What herbal suggestions are there to help keep ducts clear? I heard that there was one to take if one is prone to plugged ducts. Since this is now my 2nd PD I'm thinking I am going to be more prone to them now that I am a bit older.

Any help or suggestions would be great. TIA

Default Re: Painful Plugged Duct

You say it's behind the nipple. Have you tried hand expression? Pay close attention when you do. Do you have a little white dot that kind of looks like a pimple? Sometimes you can only see the dot at the end of the expression. If you do, that's your problem. In that case it's basically a clogged nipple pore. I've found for me that sometimes nothing worked but just trying and trying and trying to get that clog free. I still get them from time to time but I catch them before they start to hurt. Usually it's a little round bit of dried milk that causes it.

If you have one of these, and nursing baby isn't helping, try the warm compresses like you've been doing (or even a hot shower) and try to work it out with hand expression. Some say to use a flamed needle to poke it but I never had much luck with that. If you have it like I used to you will know when you've worked it free. For one the pain will lessen quite a bit, and you'll have a stream of milk that flows on it's own without any compression/expression from you.

*hugs* It will work itself free. The best thing you can do is just keep up with what you are doing -- nurse frequently, use warm compresses, and if nursing isn't working try to pump it some.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

No I don't have one of those. I've tried hand expression a couple of times and once in a hot bath while in the warm water. Didn't help much.

I mean more like while it's behind the nipple it's also like in the middle of my breast type behind my nipple.

I dunno, when it's filling up with milk my whole breast is just painful to the touch. I flinch at a lot of little things.

I feel bad because my toddler wants to be held but it is pure torture if I try to, at least on my right side, but kids don't sit still, yk?!

My DS has been sleeping more too today, which has been odd. But I attribute it to his little cold.

I guess if it could take up to 6-7 days then I should just keep working it but then reading that other thread about the possibiliy of an abscess makes me worry too.

But like I said, no striations, and no fever. But if it's imbedded then I am a bit worried.

Wah! I just want it out!

I had one like that recently (hurt like crazy) and I had the most luck hand expressing in a hot shower while massaging it. I think that spot is hard to get clogs out of b/c you can't massage it while nursing or you break the suction.

I was able to pump a lot on that side last night. I got very little milk out but I got more thick mucousy discharge out, but still not all of it. WAH!! It's seems tobe coming out of one duct as the discharge was only in one specific area. I told DH how much I would love to just suck it straight out of the duct if I could.

OK, here's a weird thing, but maybe it'll work. Have you tried nursing on all fours? The gravity sometimes helps work out the plugged duct.

Keep nursing on the affected side first, and I'd apply the warm, moist compress about 5 minutes prior to nursing on that side, and keep massaging as your LO nurses.

Nursing was all tha that helped me. Even when the duct in gone you may feel some pain for a few days. That is normal.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

That's good that you got some mucousy looking milk from the affected side--that means the clog is moving through. And like a PP said, you may be a little sore and "bruised" feeling in that area for a few days, even after it clears. Just keep working at it--nursing, pumping, moist heat, hand expression in the shower.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!