Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nystatin cream and lanolin?

Default Nystatin cream and lanolin?

I'm using the Nystatin cream to treat thrush, and it seems to be working. When I first started using it, I noticed a difference almost immediately. But now (all of a sudden) my nipples are quite sore again. So, should I continue to just use the cream? Or should I combine that with lanolin and just alternate after feedings? I'm not even sure if you should use both or if it would help, but I just need to do something for the pain...

Default Re: Nystatin cream and lanolin?

Are they sore when you are nursing or at other times? Did you also treat your LO for thrush?

How long have you been treating yourself? If less than two weeks or so, it may be the thrush that is still causing the pain. I found that the lanolin didn't seem to help much when we have thrush, although I loved it in the beginning. It seemed to make the burning worse. We use the cream and put a little Aquaphor over that. It is similar in texture to the lanolin, but doesn't seem quite as stiff to me. I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by jentut
    Are they sore when you are nursing or at other times? Did you also treat your LO for thrush?
    They're sore while nursing and at other times. But it seems to come and go. Yes, we were both treated for thrush.

How long have you been treating yourself?
    It's been about three weeks now. I guess I'm confused because I'm not quite sure if my nipples are sore from thrush or from nursing. Maybe I'll try using both and see if there's any improvement.