Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reflux

Default Reflux

I took Catherine to the doctor today because she has been spitting up a whole lot in the last few weeks (she is only 5 weeks old). I thought it was ok because she was gaining weight and peeing well, but my aunt was just visiting and she was pretty shocked at the amount of spit up. Plus it is frustrating to know that we can barely hold her or pick her up or play with her without her literally erupting like a volcano. She spits up from the time that I feed her until I feed her again 2-3 hours later. So she went to the doctor today and the recommended two things: baby zantac and putting rice cereal in her milk. This means that I have to pump...and I have to give more formula because I cannot pump enough for her to eat. I've been pumping every 2 hours today, but it is not yet making enough for her. Does anyone have any advice? Can I continue to nurse her a few times a day and then supplement with the pumped stuff and some formula? She is also extremely cranky. She did not like the zantac at all. Didn't like the taste...and I don't know if that is still making her cranky...or perhaps the cereal? She has been such a good baby so far and we were just getting hang of breastfeeding...I am so frustrated.

Thanks.

Default Re: Reflux

We had two that could out projectile the kid on the exorcist. So I can completely sympathize.

She will get used to the zantac. Make sure you put the syringe to the very back of her cheek and depress the plunger slowly. This will keep it out of the range of her taste buds for the most part. Before you start suplimenting with the cereal try seeing how a couple of days of the Zantac and nursing do. If you go online and look at the newer studdies you'll find that the cereal doesn't always tend to eliminate the reflux, it just causes it to go silent. In other words, she'd still be refluxing but because the material is thickened, it doesn't usually make it all the way up her throat.

Dawn

I'm not a doctor or even in the medical field, but I do not agree about giving cereal. My dr always said to never give any solids until at least 4 months because they have proven it could cause diabetes later in life. If I were you, I would just do the Zantac and see how it helps. If not, request a different brand b/c all babies do not respond to Zantac.
    I'm dealing with the same issue with my 7 week old and we're now trying our
    2nd type of reflux medicine. My doc never suggested cereal.
    You may also want to read the rapid letdown/oversupply of milk articles on this site. They have a lot of the same symptoms as reflux.
    Like I said before, this is just my opinion. Maybe one of the LL leaders will respond to your post and give you more information. Or even better, maybe you should call one and get their opinion. Hope this is helpful!

Hmmm, yea, I was a bit concerned about giving her the cereal... Just now I tried something a bit different. I gave just 1 oz of the cereal mix and then let her nurse until she was done. But maybe I will try just the Zantac for a few days and see how that goes. She does do better on formula because it is thicker... Instead of cereal, could I maybe mix formula with breastmilk?? Are there side effects to Zantac? She was very cranky last night after taking it, and woke up every 2 hours instead of her usual 5 hours then 3 hours.

I really don't know about the mixing of formula and breast milk. I would suspect the cereal and/or formula is what's making him fussy. My son didn't have any side effects with Zantac, but that isn't to say your's wouldn't.

She actually does really well with formula. She gets 2 bottles a night as supplement and she never spits the formula up or gets fussy. She spits up my breastmilk because it's so much thinner, and does a lot of grunting and groaning after eating it...which is why I wondered about mixing it with the formula to make it a bit thicker. If I wasn't wanting to breastfeed so badly, I would probably just give her all formula since she seems to like it so much and do so well, but I desperately want to keep breastfeeding at least during the day. I tried this morning with the Zantac again, and she did much better when I put the dropper further back and to the side. Thank you for that suggestion.

Do you think she's getting too much of your foremilk when bf? I have that problem along with reflux. My ds chokes and gags when I have let down and he gets a lot of milk at him at one time. When he gets formula, it's in the bottle and he can control how much he gets. Just a thought!

Two things I don't agree with- rice cereal and giving Zantac to a baby before food allergies and sensitivities have been COMPLETELY ruled out. My advice to you is to start an elimination diet to try and pinpoint if there is something in your milk that is making your baby sick/fussy. I believe this should be done before you go giving a baby medicines and chemicals and a host of other things that can create worse problems. Here are some links for you to check out.

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/ZAN1494.HTM This link has general information regarding Zantac.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041200.asp This is a link to a Dr. recommended elimination diet.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t106000.asp This article illustrates the importance of human milk and how it is very beneficial to babies who might suffer from reflux.

I just posted a similar reply to a similar question, the thread is called "cereal for reflux", you might want to check it out, a few members posted helpful suggestions.
    anyway, to cut a long story short, cereal can cause more harm than good, in the long run, if given so early. try to find out if a change in your diet could help first.
    and try to take the advice of well-meaning Aunts with a smile and a pinch of salt !