Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Left Side ALWAYS Low

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Left Side ALWAYS Low

Hi everyone,

I'm new and this is my first post, so I'm going to fumble through my explanation a little.

I have a five and a half month old son.

Since the beginning, I've pumped with a Pump in Style. Also since the beginning, my left breast produces a significantly lower amount of milk than my right. For example, my son will nurse at 4 p.m. and by 8 p.m. when I pump, I only get an ounce (or even less than an ounce!) and it seems like it's mostly hindmilk and very little foremilk. My right side produces nicely in the same time frame: 2 to 3 ounces, at least.

About a month ago, I did a round of Reglan which helped while I was on it, but my levels just returned to what they were before. I'm pumping to try to get my left side to produce more, but haven't had the results my son and I need. He's staying on extra long on that side to try to demand more, but all it's doing is hurting me.

What are the side effects of Fenugreek (misspelled?) and what is it exactly? Does it really work and is it as effective as Reglan?

Well, thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: Left Side ALWAYS Low

Just thought of something to add...

My supply seemed to dip as my son began sleeping through the night. Would that possibly have anything to do with it? Perhaps since they're not being emptied... I dunno!

pretty normal to have one side that doesn't make as much milk.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/increase.html
    its common for moms who pump to notice a dip in supply when your cycle returns.
    what are his nursing patterns like the rest of the day?
    What about wet diapars?
    and poops?
    Growing?

I haven't had a period yet. He nurses about every 2 to 3 hours during the day and eats about 4 tbs. of rice cereal each night. He nurses one or two times during the night. Plenty of wet diapers, but he only has a dirty diaper once or twice a week! His wettest diaper is in the morning because he gets to eat from full breasts during the night feedings. He'll eat from one side at a feeding, day and night.
    Last edited by mommamags; November 10th, 2007 at 09:18 PM.

it sounds like things are going pretty well.
    Baby is much beter a removing milk then the pump!
    dirty diapar once a week is fine for an older baby...