Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Re: Trouble with the Breast

Default Re: Trouble with the Breast

My daughter is now 3 wks old. Every since i've had her she has never latched on. I currently try to pump my milk but unfortunately I can only get out 1oz in a day if that. I still try to get her to latch on before offering her a bottle but after about 5 min she is so fussy. Also when I pump it doesn't flow like it should it only drips every now and then. Please help I really would like to breast feed her.

Hi Kim

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble! Has your baby ever been able to latch? I'm assuming your supplementing with formula currently? What was her lowest weight and what is it now?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

She hasn't really latched on even with the help at the hospital. She will attempt to for 2 or 3 min before becoming fussy. I'm sure it is because the milk doesn't come out like it should. Her birth weight was 7.2 oz when born. Her 1 week appt. she weighed 7.4 oz and now she is about 9 lbs. Yes I am using formula currently to supplement.

Okay
    I'm going to move your question to our Milk Supply forum. The ladies there can give you lots of good advice for building your milk supply while you continue to pump.

I'd strongly suggest you get ahold of a LLL Leader (see the link in my signature) or an IBCLC to help you in-person with the latch. In the meantime, try lots and lots of skin-to-skin contact. Strip to your waist and strip baby down to her diaper for EVERY feeding. Consider taking her to bed with you and allowing her full access to the breast all night. Take her into a warm bath with you. Skin-to-skin contact is very useful in stimulating reluctant latchers.

Hang in there mama!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hello Kim and Welcome!

Were you able to get in contact with a local LLL leader? How did your weekend go?

Your baby is still young, and there is still time to get her breastfeeding. Be patient with yourself and your baby, and you will get there.

Here is an article with some more information that might help you:

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p136.html

Hang in there,

Tiana

yes I was able to get in touch with someone. They want to check my latch technique to make sure that i am feeding correctly. So I will be attending a le leche class on the 20th of this month. I was able to get my daughter to latch on today for about 5 minutes, however because of the lack of milk production she gets irritated and wants the bottle. I am happy that I see some progress though. Could there be a chance that I just will not produce more milk? I have taken the advice of Jen to have the skin to skin contact with her. I have noticed that I start to leak milk doing this but it just isn't enough, I only drip a little and then that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbuggy View Post
    yes I was able to get in touch with someone. They want to check my latch technique to make sure that i am feeding correctly. So I will be attending a le leche class on the 20th of this month.
    Wonderful! That should really help. I'm so glad you were able to contact a local leader.

I was able to get my daughter to latch on today for about 5 minutes, however because of the lack of milk production she gets irritated and wants the bottle. I am happy that I see some progress though.
    This is good progress. You might try practicing her latch when she is not yet ravinously hungry. She may be more patient with the slow flow. You could also pump a little bit before putting her to the breast so she gets a little "instant gratification". Have you considered using a nursing supplementer?: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/05lactation_aid.html

Could there be a chance that I just will not produce more milk? I have taken the advice of Jen to have the skin to skin contact with her. I have noticed that I start to leak milk doing this but it just isn't enough, I only drip a little and then that's it.
    This is VERY unlikely. If you can get your daughter to start nursing, you will start producing milk. Breastfeeding works on the principle of supply and demand. The more baby nurses, the more milk you will make. In the meantime, keep up the pumping and the skin-to-skin contact. Try latching her on whenever you can. Try nursing when she is very sleepy. Enjoy being with your baby and try not to stress out about every drop. Your baby is very young. It is unusual to pump more than an ounce or so at a time at this age. Tiny babies have tiny tummies...about the size of their little fist. Breastfed babies prefer short, frequent feedings, and do not typically drink 4-8oz at a sitting like we are used to seeing formula fed babies drink. I really think it is great that you will be going to a LLL meeting. The information and support you can get at a meeting may be just what you need to overcome these challenges.

Hang in there,

Tiana
    Last edited by LLLTiana; June 12th, 2007 at 05:31 AM. Reason: typo

thanks for your support, I will let you know how the class on wed 6/20 will help

Kim,
    I also had alot of trouble in the beginning and I know how frustrating it is. My son would get latched on inappropriately and ended up ripping me to pieces. While reading your issues and looking at the responses that you have already gotten these are a few things that I was thinking:
    1. DONT GIVE UP! Keep trying and trying and trying. Everyone says that breastfeeding is a natural and wonderful thing.....and it is. But it takes some time to get there. The whole process of learning how to breastfeed takes time. Not only do you have to learn, but so does your little one!
    2. It sounds like you are having problems with your "let down". For me this was always the tricky part because I was always in so much pain and anxiety in the beginning. You are probbably very nervous and upset about the whole breastfeeding thing, so when you go to nurse her your body is unable to relax and let the milk flow. This "let down" of milk flow is crucial to get your little one get latched on appropriately, stay on, and get the milk. To help your let down, try to sit in a chair or a rocking chair that's comfy, turn some light music on, dim the lights, and maybe even have a good smelling candle lit somewhere near so you have the sweet scent. Get comfortable, and rock her. Talk to her or sing to her. Love on her.....tell her all about what you want for her and how beautiful she is. Once you both get comfortable and your feeling all sappy, get her in the position and offer her your breast. Dont get frustrated, stay in your sappy mode. Try to relax as much as you can. The more you relax and let yourself get into this loving, sappy feeling, the easier it will be for your let down reflex to happen. This might take some practice, but once you get the hang of it your little one will get the milk quicker and won't become so frustrated with the whole process. If you are trying to use a pump you have to do the same thing. When I pump I try to relax, and I close my eyes or look at a picture of him to help me get that sappy feeling. There is nothing wonderful about a pump and it's not personable...but you can imagine it's your daughter sucking at your breast and it will help you relax and help your let down happen.
    3. Keep trying to get her latched on! If she gets on and then pops back off after 5 minutes, do it again. Give her a break if she needs it, then try again. If she is just starving and irritable because she is so hungry....feed her some formula to take the edge off and then try to latch on again. She will probably be more willing to try if she isn't so hungry. Be consistant....try frequently.
    4. Try different holding positions. I went to a few breastfeeding classes and they showed me a couple different positions to hold my son. I figured out which one was most comfortable for me and stuck to it. I also learned that when i would hold my son on my right side I was holding him incorrectly. They told me that whatever side is your dominent hand, you ususally have a difficult time holding the infant appropriately for latch on, and you also make it uncomfortable for them to nurse. So, my dominent side is right-handed. I quickly realized that when I would cradle my son with my right arm to nurse on my right side I was doing it wrong. Review how you are holding her....it might make a big difference if you change the way you are holding her.

I hope these things help you a little bit. All in all, just don't give up! As you get the hang of it and your daughter starts thriving off of your milk you will see how wonderful breastfeeding is! It does get easier...I promise.

I recieved a lot of helpful suggestions at the meetings. Now that I am not stressing over trying to breastfeed, this week I just tried to get her to latch on and low and behold she did for a while. I was so excited!! I know that she didn't get much milk though, being that my milk supply is very low. I was wondering, is it still good to let her stay latched on even if she think she is sucking on a pacifier and not getting any milk. Also, being that she will be 2 months tomorrow 7/16/07 is it too late for her to start breastfeeding, has my milk supply gone since she didn't latch on in the beginning?