Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP my supply is nearly GONE & we don't want to quit yet!!

Default HELP my supply is nearly GONE & we don't want to quit yet!!

I am in tears! After a week or so of batteling my dipping milk supply I truly feel defeated! I really think that my milk supply is near gone and I don't know if there is much more that I can do!

In a nutshell this is the deal:

My little guy is about 7.5 months old

I "think" I got my period but not totally sure because I have an IUD which could make it drastically different I was told...but think I did as my supply decreased around the time that my so called "period" symptoms showed up.

I have been taking Fenugreek the last 2 days to increase my supply, eating oatmeal almost everyday and drinking a lot of water.

I also have been pumping after almost every nursing session and 2.5 hours after my little guy goes down for the night.

In the last week I have only gotten about 6oz total from both breast despite all that pumping!

I have ordered different fittings for my pump as my breast are very large and the fittings are the average size....maybe that would help?

I use a medela pump that is brand new.

My little guy has been fussy after feedings but I am not sure if that is related to my milk issues or the fact that he is getting another tooth.

I have also decreased the amount of solids that he is eating hoping that would make him want to nurse more often and for longer bouts.

What else can I do?

Thanks!!
    Beth

Default Re: HELP my supply is nearly GONE & we don't want to quit yet!!

It's totally normal to have a dip in supply around when you get your period. Happens to me every time. In a few days, things always resolve themselves. Wish I could give you the scientific reason behind it, but all I remember is it's from the hormones. HTH

Is your baby still having plenty of diaper output? Your baby gets a lot more milk when nursing directly than when you pump. If you are getting six ounces per day pumping on top of nursing baby full time, you can be assured that your milk is nowhere near "gone".

Your baby's fussiness could certainly be due to teething. Also, hormones can sometime affect the taste of breastmilk, so if you just had a period, he could be reacting to a difference in taste, and not low milk supply. Even if your supply is a bit low due to your period, a few days of increased nursing should easily bring you back up to normal.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

Thanks Ladies for your replies!

Just to answer a question from the last poster, unfortunately we are only getting 6oz total from last week! I WISH we were still getting 6oz of pumped milk per day!!

Feel like I am at a road block!!
    Beth

Sorry for misreading your post .

Has your new flange arrived? Having incorrectly fitting pump parts can cause a decrease in pump output. Have you read this FAQ on increasing the amount of milk you are able to pump?: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

Is your LO still getting plenty of milk when nursing directly? Plenty of diaper output? It might be comforting to know that some women with abundant milk supplies are never able to pump much. Pump output is not a good indicator of milk production.

I know you are stressed out, but do try to relax while you are pumping. Stress can inhibit letdown, so try not to worry about every single drop.

May I ask what your purposes for pumping are? What are your goals?

Hang in there,

Tiana

hpw much fenugreek are you taking. I was taking what was recc on the bottle 3 a day..and didnt see results, then i came on here and a number of people told me that they were told to take 3 pills 3 x a day...when i did that, my supply almost doubled in a couple of days!!