Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does pumping speed affect how much bm you will get?

Question Does pumping speed affect how much bm you will get?

Hello ,

I was wondering if milk supply was affected by the speed you use on the pump? I read that it does; however, the IBCLC I consulted with said it does not. (I am not disagreeing with her...), just curious as to why there is so much of a differing opinion out there.

Default Re: Does pumping speed affect how much bm you will get?

You'd probably get the same amount in less time. but i don't know my lo refuses a bottle.

The Breastfeeding Answer Book recommends a pump that cycles ~60 times per minute, which most closely mimics an infants sucking pattern. Frequent cycling helps to build and maintain supply. A pump that pumps less frequently (the Medela Mini Electric, for example, is the pump that I have and it only cycles 30 to 35 times per minute) does not help build & maintain supply.

I returned to work at 12 months post-partum. I pump with my MME once per day. When I first went back to work, I could easily pump 6 oz in 20 minutes (10 min per side). Now (at 16 months), I am LUCKY if I can get 2 oz in 20 minutes. That said, it may just be due to the fact that milk supply does decrease after a year, or it could be my pump. I know that if I can get DS to nurse on one side and pump on the other, I can get a lot of milk. He hates the sound of the pump, though.

Erin, -- I think we're having similar circumstances 'cuz we seem to have the same questions ...

When I was so sore two weeks ago, I turned the Lactina rental down to 2ish after I let down. A few days later my supply had dropped. (note: I pump 35-40 oz daily because I am paranoid, and not sure how long I want to do this, so "supply drop" was not a big deal. ) Hard to tell if it was from the thrush, or the turning the pump down, or something else, but I turned it back up and supply returned accordingly.

Cool Re: Does pumping speed affect how much bm you will get?

Quote Originally Posted by rosesforlily View Post
    Erin, -- I think we're having similar circumstances 'cuz we seem to have the same questions ...
    That does seem to be the case!

Quote Originally Posted by rosesforlily View Post
    When I was so sore two weeks ago, I turned the Lactina rental down to 2ish after I let down. A few days later my supply had dropped. (note: I pump 35-40 oz daily because I am paranoid, and not sure how long I want to do this, so "supply drop" was not a big deal. ) Hard to tell if it was from the thrush, or the turning the pump down, or something else, but I turned it back up and supply returned accordingly.
    I have a Medela PIS Advanced and noticed that when I dropped down the speed I did not get as much milk. I have since turned up the speed. I also just rented the Symphony from the IBCLC that I saw and noticed that it is a bit more gentler then the PIS I have, even on the top speed. I only pump 20oz a day so I am hoping to get a better supply/freezer stash before I return to work on 12/10/2007.

Now I had the opposite thing happen. I was pumping at max speed and I tried turning it lower. I got more then. But maybe it was b/c I was feeling rushed before and just said forget everyone else. Now I go slower and relax and just don't care what everyone else thinks/expects of me at work. Maybe that's what made the difference for me? Plus someone on here said the speed I went to was probably more like my son's sucking speed instead of so fast/rough. who knows!

3kidsMommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I'm with Jodi, I get more milk in less time with slow pumping. I'm not sure why but hey it works!!
    btw, Jodi, I love the new pictures!!

I would say play with the settings and test it out for yourself. I went through a period where my Left wanted it sliw with lots of suction pressure and the right wanted it fast and little suction pressure. Luckily, they not get along and both work on medium!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk