Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eyeballing my food....

Default Eyeballing my food....

My LO is only 16 weeks old, but a couple days ago while eating mashed potatoes for supper she kept looking at it, and as I brought them to my mouth she opened up her mouth too. She's been doing this ever since. Every single time I try to eat anything she acts like she wants to eat too. What am I supposed to do? When my first 2 were younger 4 months was when everyone said to start on cereals and such, now everyone says 6 months. In another thread I said I will be waiting until 6 months, but now she's showing some signs. She isn't sitting up on her own yet, but her neck/head are very stable. She's never really been one of those wobbly headed babes.

It was funny, my DS (8 years old) has a love for garlic toast and we had some left over from last night's supper - so he was eating some this morning. Jazzy kept smackin her gums and tongue and trying to get at him and his food.

What should I do? What would you do? Are purees and mashed up food actually "solids" or is that more so the cut up pieces?

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Default Re: Eyeballing my food....

Solids are anything that isn't liquid? Mashed up stuff and purees are solids. I dunno I would try to hold out. I made it to 5 months until him staring me down whenever I ate got to be too much. Like whenever I put something in my mouth he would make a noise. I wanted to wait till 6 months as well. But I started out very slowly with the food. And now he just gobbles it down, but I only do one meal a day right now.

Haley was interested in our food starting around 3 months!

I decided that I am the mama, and I call the shots, so I held her off. We waited until a couple weeks shy of 6 months, when I felt like she was really ready (sitting up by herself, picking things up easily, more mature digestive system, etc.). If you do decide to try solids, start slow so you will know if your LO has digestive problems without making the problems too major. If this happens, then LO is not ready and needs to wait, no matter how tempting that garlic toast looks!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by Haley's Mama View Post
    Haley was interested in our food starting around 3 months!

I decided that I am the mama, and I call the shots, so I held her off. We waited until a couple weeks shy of 6 months, when I felt like she was really ready (sitting up by herself, picking things up easily, more mature digestive system, etc.). If you do decide to try solids, start slow so you will know if your LO has digestive problems without making the problems too major. If this happens, then LO is not ready and needs to wait, no matter how tempting that garlic toast looks!
    No way would I let her have garlic toast yet lol was just really funny seeing her trying to get to big brother's food.

I figured no matter when we start, we'll do so slowly.

~*Allee*~

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy's Mommy View Post
    No way would I let her have garlic toast yet lol was just really funny seeing her trying to get to big brother's food.
    I know! I didn't think you'd just hand her a slab of toast!

You know, I thought of one thing I did that maybe would appease your LO? When Haley hit about 4 mos, I let her lick things. Just for a second. For example, I was eating an apple, she was watching closely, so I let her lick it. She didn't more than a taste, so I wasn't worried about it hurting her, but it let her participate in the eating a little bit. She seemed to be satisfied with that. I just did it once in a while, when she seemed particularly eager. Maybe Jazzy would go for that?
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Maybe, guess it depends on what it is I'm eating. Last night was alfredo manicotti and she was litterly trying to dive to it lol Wouldn't have happened normally but DH had to take off while I was eating. Sometimes we eat different dinners, and often in "shifts" because what him and the kids are having doesn't always agree with either me or Jazzy. And that way she doesn't try as aggressively to dive into either of our foods because the other one is holding her.

~*Allee*~

I think Jazzy will be a face stuffer!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I know how you feel! Zach grabbed as piece of bacon off my plate at 4.5 months and ATE it. Thats one for the baby book,huh?
    We kept Zach occupied those last few months before starting solids with spoons to play with, a sippy cup of water (he never drank more than a sip), and ice cubes to slide around on his high chair tray. I think it helped him feel like he wasn't being left out during meal times.
    It was very important to me to wait until 6 months to start solids and I'm glad we did.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

I read that once babies can hold their heads up and seem interested in other people's food then they are ready to start solids.

Of course, that was on the Gerber website (I think) so they were probably just trying to sell baby food.

I think you should wait....all solids have much less calories than bm, so they would not contribute nutritionaly.....it would just be "fun". And keep in mind that the earlier they start solids the risk for food allergies is higher. Oh, and solids is ANYTHING other that bm.

I think as parents we should make decisions based on good information. I don`t think a baby can call the shots here.....I mean imagine if he`s 6 months old and stares at your icecream....
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to