Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: still getting the benefits of bm?

Default still getting the benefits of bm?

I've been pumping exclusively for my DD for almost 7 months now. I went back to work full-time when she was four months. When she turned 6 months, I went through some very stressful things at work and my supply plummeted. Plus, I am a teacher and I have so many meetings during my planning periods that I've had to skip a pumping here and there.

Now she is getting about 50% bm and 50% formula. I've used all of my freezer stash that I had saved up, so now it is just day by day. Some days she gets more bm than others. Is she still getting the benefits of bm with only getting it 50% of the time?

It is a lot of work to pump and I still have to get up to do it in the middle of the night. Sometimes I wonder if the amount that she is getting is worth it. Has anybody heard anything on this topic?

Default Re: still getting the benefits of bm?

Any breast milk, good breast milk.
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

I had this question a few months ago and I think above all she is getting your wonderful antibodies which make her healthier. They also get a lot of healthy milk which continues to aide in their digestive system.
    I think Dr. Sears has a whole area which lists breastmilk benefits. I think they did a study where they had adult volunteers drink breastmilk and then formula. They found that the breastmilk actually also went into bloodstream is some form whereas formula didnt at or as much. so I think they are still figuring out all the ways BM is beneficial.
    I do notice a lot of info about breastmilk benefits tend to gear for the newborn age becauseI think the majority of people don't breastfeed or pump for very long.
    Your baby is still getting benefits from your milk for sure. You are a great mother to her!

Quote Originally Posted by sara23 View Post
    I've been pumping exclusively for my DD for almost 7 months now. I went back to work full-time when she was four months. When she turned 6 months, I went through some very stressful things at work and my supply plummeted. Plus, I am a teacher and I have so many meetings during my planning periods that I've had to skip a pumping here and there.
    On a side note- this herbal drop helped improve my supply a lot:
    http://www.motherlove.com/product_more_milk_plus.php

Also, I am a teacher too but being home with my twins since daycare kind of cancels out my income.
    I know what you mean about meetings, etc. School can run you pretty ragid - so extra congrats on pumping this long! She has had your milk for 7 wonderful months. Whether you chose to continue or to phase out of pumping - wonderful job- you have gone above and beyond!

Thanks for the encouragement! It is nice to hear from others who actually understand everything that goes into this

Breastfeeding matters. The longer, the better. You're doing an awesome thing for your baby!