Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Letdown taking much longer than usual...

Default Letdown taking much longer than usual...

My six month old dd is becoming more and more frustrated with the length of time it is now taking for letdown to occur. I have been slightly depressed lately, could this be this cause? It used to take anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute and a half and now it is taking up to 4 or 5 minutes!!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Default Re: Letdown taking much longer than usual...

Mom's emotions do have a tendency to affect breastfeeding. I know if I am stressed or upset it tends to seem that I have less milk. I'll let the other ladies chime in, but the depression could definitely be affecting your let down. I will say that let down time has increased with me and generally is about 45 sec. compared to only a few seconds early on. 4-5 min. seems a little long. Sorry you are feeling down. Perhaps you should try to work on making yourself feel better, get some exercise, eat right, get plenty of sleep, take relaxing baths, get someone to babysit so you can go out, etc. Hope you feel better soon and your nursing gets back on track!