Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spicy food/ pump & dump

Default Spicy food/ pump & dump

I can't remember where I saw the information.....what is the "schedule" of eating something spicy and how soon/often you need to pump & dump as not to affect the baby's stomach? We're having pizza tonight!!
    Thanks!
    Anne

Default Re: Spicy food/ pump & dump

Has your baby had a problem with spicy food before? If not, I wouldn't dump a drop! I ate everything and my baby never had a problem, except that early on I noticed that onions gave her the toots. So I just avoided onions the best I could for the first 3 months or so. But I never even gave spicy food a second thought...

Hi Anne,
    As the pp said, unless you've noticed some reactions before, there's no need for concern. This may help explain a bit more.
    What foods should I avoid eating while breastfeeding?

Mary

DH is indian and we eat tons of spicy food-always have! never been a problem

I agree with PP. If baby does have some gas or discomfort due to the food, you can always try a dose of Mylicon. That stuff worked wonders with my DD in the early stages (she had some reflux too) and you really can't "OD" it.
    Don't waste that precious breastmilk!!!

I agree with pp too. I also eat tons of spicy food and it doesn't seem to bother my son. I remember when my son was 2 months, one of the ped told me I couldn't eat spicy food, which I ignored. My son right now can eat spicy solids and it doesn't bother him a bit.

It can't be stated enough...it is absolutely unneccessary to pump and dump when consuming spicy foods.

Some babies actually enjoy spice in their breastmilk. I don't have the study handy, but I do know that one study showed that babies consumed *more* breastmilk when their mothers ate garlic.

Adding to the pp, I noticed also that when it comes to solids food they don't seem to mind spices, my kids actually handle them a lot better than a lot of adults I know, I love spicy food and so do they.