Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to wean her off bottle?

Default how to wean her off bottle?

was so glad to find this forum..

given birth to Nyah on 29 Oct via c-section. there wasn't any support in the hospital on BF and after 2 nights, the nurses top her up with 30ml of formula milk after an hour on my breast. so now, we are home, we continue topping her up with formula as we thot her stomach should be stretch by now, and couldn't get full on my breasts alone, so what i do is i will put her on one of my breast for 20-30 mins, then top her up with formula milk (ranging from 60ml - full feed of 90ml) almost everytime!!

i am willing to give exclusive BF a go, but feel like i will never catch her up. i read thru some of the threads and most are suggesting to ditch the bottle and let her feed on my breast for a day or so. has anyone tried it and work? what if she is hungry, will i be starving her?

also, one of the problem is bad latching due to the bottle. she is now a nipple suckler and won't open wide, so i don't think my breasts are stimulated enough to produce the milk she required. how to rectify this problem? i tried breaking the suction off and tried till she opened wide, but that never comes...even if there is success, she will slide her mouth closer herself and just suck on my nipple.

i was also told to use the pump to stimulate more milk production, so after each feed (if i am not exhausted), i will use a hand pump to pump out milk from the other 'unused' breast. on a good time, it will pump out 60ml -80ml but usually since i am so stressed out, it will only pump out 30ml-40ml after 10-15 mins. not sure if is this wise/necessary/doing anything? any advice?

i know everyone is telling me to relax but i am such an emotional wreck right now, my whole body flinch when she cries and usually i cries along with her... really could use some sound advice on how to tackle this BF issue. thanks

Default Re: how to wean her off bottle?

Hi I can't help with all of your questios but I have found that when the latch is not ideal work her mouth gently open while on your breast. Pull her chin lightly and that will open her bottom lip. my dd was so small 4lbs 14oz when born and wouldn't open wide alot of the time so i figured out that working with her without taking her off the breast was less frustrating for her. Don't dispair we all have challenges. Congrats on your new baby.

Hi there! Congratulations on your new baby! Her name is beautiful.

there wasn't any support in the hospital on BF and after 2 nights, the nurses top her up with 30ml of formula milk after an hour on my breast. so now, we are home, we continue topping her up with formula as we thot her stomach should be stretch by now, and couldn't get full on my breasts alone, so what i do is i will put her on one of my breast for 20-30 mins, then top her up with formula milk (ranging from 60ml - full feed of 90ml) almost everytime!!
    The research has shown that baby's stomachs don't really stretch. If the baby is overfull, she will spit up or the milk will back up into her small intestine.

i am willing to give exclusive BF a go, but feel like i will never catch her up. i read thru some of the threads and most are suggesting to ditch the bottle and let her feed on my breast for a day or so. has anyone tried it and work? what if she is hungry, will i be starving her?
    You absolutely CAN catch up! She's less than 2 weeks old, so it's still very early. Since you're using so much supplement, it would probably be best to stop it gradually rather than all at once. Try cutting it out after just one or two feedings for 24 hours and see how she does. Here is an article that can help you determine if she's getting enough to eat:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

also, one of the problem is bad latching due to the bottle. she is now a nipple suckler and won't open wide, so i don't think my breasts are stimulated enough to produce the milk she required. how to rectify this problem? i tried breaking the suction off and tried till she opened wide, but that never comes...even if there is success, she will slide her mouth closer herself and just suck on my nipple.
    I'd strongly suggest you get ahold of a LLL Leader in your area (see my signature for a link), or an IBCLC. Getting someone to help you with latch in person may make a huge difference for you. Until you can see someone, just keep trying. Keep relatching her. She'll get the hang of it

i was also told to use the pump to stimulate more milk production, so after each feed (if i am not exhausted), i will use a hand pump to pump out milk from the other 'unused' breast. on a good time, it will pump out 60ml -80ml but usually since i am so stressed out, it will only pump out 30ml-40ml after 10-15 mins. not sure if is this wise/necessary/doing anything? any advice?
    The pump is NOT a good measure of how much milk you are making. Baby can almost always get milk from you better than the pump can. Supply varies a bit throughout the day. Since you are trying to build your supply up, I'd strongly suggest you rent a hospital-grade pump for a couple of weeks until you are able to breastfeed without supplementing. A hand pump is not enough for the job.

i know everyone is telling me to relax but i am such an emotional wreck right now, my whole body flinch when she cries and usually i cries along with her... really could use some sound advice on how to tackle this BF issue. thanks
    Hang in there! It DOES get easier! You'll probably find this has all turned around in just a short time.

Please call your local LLL Leader. That's what she's there for.

Hugs mama!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

thanks for the advice...will try it out.

having some little 'progress' if you can call that. i have cut down her formula intake to only wee morning feeds (guilty) and 1-2 bottle of 60ml during the day, the rest of the time, i tried to put her on my breasts exclusively. usually she will suckle till she falls asleep, but will wake up very easily as i don't think she is getting enough?? i don't mind putting her on my breast for 24/7 but there isn't a point if the latching is incorrect, right?

also, i am currently residing in Dubai and LLLI don't seem to have a local support over here!!

will consider the electric pump, i have tried it during my hospital stay (it's a dual electric pump)..will pumping the breast too often 'empty' my breasts, leaving little for the baby?

thanks for your help and advice.

It looks like there is a Leader for the entire UAE. I don't know how close you'd be to her, but here is the info:
    http://www.llli.org/UAE.html

That's so great that you've been able to cut back on the supplement! Is she having enough wet and dirty diapers?

If she's not latching correctly, that can contribute to how much milk she's getting. You might try just letting her latch herself. Put her skin-to-skin with you, make the breast available to her and let her kind of find her own way. There's been some new research into this area that shows that babies are pretty good at figuring out what they need to do. Breast compressions can also help encourage her to stay on longer and eat more.

will consider the electric pump, i have tried it during my hospital stay (it's a dual electric pump)..will pumping the breast too often 'empty' my breasts, leaving little for the baby?
    Do it only after she feeds, and only if you feel your milk supply still needs a boost. Removing milk from the breast frequently is the best way to build a milk supply, so 'emptying' it is actually good--as long as your baby is getting what she needs first.
    Hang in there!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!