Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How little can I pump w/out drying up?

Default How little can I pump w/out drying up?

I've been pumping for almost 10 mos now and I am so tired of it. Can I pump only like 4x a day and still get milk as long as I do it? Or will I stop producing with that little # of pumping?
    I usually pump 5 or 6x a day, but with my twins getting more active and me needing to get things done I find I just don't have the time.

That I or I need a major pep talk....

Default Re: How little can I pump w/out drying up?

I came here to ask this same question, I have quite a bit of milk in my refridgerator and my baby still nurse as often as she likes, but I want to stop pumping, so I too want to know if my milk will dry up if I stop pumping completely. I love to nurse, but I hate to pump. Thanks in advance ladies.

Try dropping one pumping session at a time and see if it makes a difference. If you do notice a drop in your supply, you can always add that extra session back in. I am exclusively pumping and down to pumping only 3 times a day. If I notice a drop in my supply I'll tak a day and pump 4-5 times to boost my supply back up. I used to pump 6-10 times a day.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

Quote Originally Posted by paigekitten View Post
    Try dropping one pumping session at a time and see if it makes a difference. If you do notice a drop in your supply, you can always add that extra session back in. I am exclusively pumping and down to pumping only 3 times a day. If I notice a drop in my supply I'll tak a day and pump 4-5 times to boost my supply back up. I used to pump 6-10 times a day.
    Wow only 3x a day? That sounds so doable. I have pumped 4x the last 2 days and didn't see but just a little bit of a drop.
    I pump 6am, 11am, 4pm, 9pm

I think I have figured, I will pump when I can and get the milk I can, and if it comes to supplementing, then we will supplement. My twins have had all 100% my milk for 10 months, so I think that is great for them. I just dont have the time to pump 6x a day anymore now that they are awake more and crawlign around.
    How much do you get pumping3x a day?

are they nursing any at the breast?
    My lo nursed just one time at bed time for a year and a half, and there was still plenty of milk to make her happy.
    Just wean from the pump slowly! You don 't want plugged ducts.
    at 10 months suppliments would be just fine..are they eating solids well?

At 3 times a day I get 22-24 ounces which is all my LO is taking right now. We just got off a growth spurt where she was taking 30 ounces and I was pumping 5 or 6 times a day. Of course at the begining of her growth spurts I have to pump like crazy for a few days before I can start dropping pump sessions. It really varies for me. I pumped only 3 times a day for like a week and then yesterday and today I had to pump 4 times to get the same amount, and tomorrow I will probably be back to 3 times.

I think it is AMAZING that you have been pumping for 10 months. You should be super proud of yourself even if you do end up doing some supplementing for the next two months.

and

Quote Originally Posted by paigekitten View Post
    At 3 times a day I get 22-24 ounces which is all my LO is taking right now. We just got off a growth spurt where she was taking 30 ounces and I was pumping 5 or 6 times a day. Of course at the begining of her growth spurts I have to pump like crazy for a few days before I can start dropping pump sessions. It really varies for me. I pumped only 3 times a day for like a week and then yesterday and today I had to pump 4 times to get the same amount, and tomorrow I will probably be back to 3 times.
    HOLY ***** - that's a lot of output - you are so fortunate. I'm lucky to get 16 oz in 4 pumping sessions (just what my lo at 9 months takes at dc). I nurse the rest of the time. I so wish I could get more like you do - wow!! So far, no supplement in the form of formula, but she is eating some solids now.

Amy

I am sure you would get more if you weren't nursing and just pumping....My LO has problems latching so she gets ALL her BM in bottles right now. It's quite annoyong.

and