Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my baby ready for solids?

Default Is my baby ready for solids?

I have a 4 and a half month old baby girl. She is exculsively brestfed. I feed her all the time yet she still seems hungry. My doctor suggested gving her solids. I am not sure because I have been told that breastfed babies don't need anyting else for the first six months. My baby always seems hungry. She also started sleeping through the night this week. She has only gained 2 ounces in that last 10 days. Is she not gaining enough? Should I start her on solids?
    Ashley

Default Re: Is my baby ready for solids?

From LLL's FAQ "When should my baby start solids?"
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html
    Your baby is starting to get ready for solids when:

-he is about four months old
    -he becomes more sociable, playing and holding "conversations" with you during a nursing session
    -he has a growth spurt and nurses more frequently for a while
    -he imitates the chewing motions you make whilst eating -- he is practicing!

You will know that he is really ready to start solids when:

-he is about six months old
    -he can sit up without any support
    -he continues to be hungry despite more frequent nursing which is unrelated to illness or teething
    -he has lost the tongue-thrusting reflex and does not push solids out of his mouth
    -he can pick up things with his finger and thumb (pincer grasp)
    Does it bother you that she nurses so frequently? Frequent nursing is healthy for both mom and baby. Yes, it's annoying, but starting solids probably won't make her nurse less often, and if it did, it would just mean she was getting less breastmilk which wouldn't be a good thing (breastmilk should remain the primary source of nutrition for the first 12 mo).

Here is one thing that can help babies get a bit more out of each nursing session, so they won't be quite as hungry quite as often: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Another thing to try is "block" feeding. Leaving your baby on one side longer so they get more hind milk. It sounds like your baby is gaining fine. Anything between 1/2 an oz to 2 ox a day is normal. BUt if you block feed your baby may end up "fuller" longer. My son will be six months on the 22nd of the month and I've always nursed one side at a time until full. I just started trying to feed him in shorter bouts on each side because it's hot out and I want him to get more hydration.(And he's teething) This may help you. Your baby will let you know when it's time for solid food....I doubt it's time. You'll know!

I feel for u. My dd was feeding every hour and with an almost 3yo son it was ridiculous so i started her on a tblspn of fruit and she still bf alot but really wanted to eat trust me u will know if she wants to or not. I saw my health nuse yesterday and she said u did the right hting she is obviously ready and now i have started her on cereal mixed withe fruit and she is sooo much happier and she isnt even 4mnths yet so when u read that no solids till 6mnths it also says when u think ur baby is ready so give it a try it is your baby after all and u will know straight away if she wants or needs it. Hope that helps

Hi there!

I understand you are concerned about your baby's weight gain. More frequent feeding will help with this if it remains a concern. If you were to introduce solids they would actually take the place of the higher-calorie BM and you would also risk lowering your supply which is something I'm sure you don't want to do!

You may wish to check this link about the different values of common baby foods, BM and formula. Keep in mind that these are per ounce. Most of the foods listed are actually lower in caloric value than BM. A couple are higher, for instance, avocado has twice as many calories per ounce. But a small bably might only eat an ounce of avocado as opposed to several ounces of BM at one sitting.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

HTH!