Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do pumps die?

Default How do pumps die?

Anyone actually had this happen? Any warning signs or helpful info you could share?

My LO is about 17 months old. I work full time and I've been pumping at work since he was 9 weeks old. Started out with 3 sessions and now I'm down to 1-2 per day.

I think my pump is working ok. I have the PSIA. I know the warranty is for a year... but I do wonder.... what happens when they stop working? They just stop? Or the suction decreases oer time?

Default Re: How do pumps die?

It depends on the issue. If the motor dies, the pump just stops working at all. If the motor dies a slow death, the suction is decreased causing the pump to be less effective.

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by home executive View Post
    the suction is decreased causing the pump to be less effective.
    I had this happen with my PISA. It was still under warranty - they sent me a new motor within a few days.

My experience with Medela customer service was quite positive. They walked me through some diagnostic stuff over the phone, then when it was clear the pump motor was dying the sent a new one very quickly. I needed to have the original receipt to send to them.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

So... when you had your problem with the PSIA did the pump start to sound odd or you just didn't pump that much anymore? Basically what led you to call Medela?

I don't get too much anymore when I pump, maybe 5-6 oz while I am gone. My son doesn't drink more than that so I haven't worried about it. I figure that my supply matches his needs exactly now so I don't make any extra like the old days. Or... maybe the pump is slowly starting to be less effective?

My son still drinks a lot at night and he's on track with his growth curves so there's no big reason to be concerned but I just want to make sure I am proactive.

Quote Originally Posted by csan View Post
    So... when you had your problem with the PSIA did the pump start to sound odd or you just didn't pump that much anymore? Basically what led you to call Medela?
    I just wasn't getting much suction any more. I could hold my finger over the end of the tubing and the suction felt "weak". The Medela customer service person I talked to was super nice and helpful. She had me take off the face plate and do some diagnostic stuff (which I don't remember well enough to describe). When that didn't help they sent me out a new motor immediately.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

With my first, my pump died with zero notice. When I was at work, I sat down to pump and it turned on, made a funny noise, and gave up. I was in tears! Luckily (or maybe not) I worked in a store that sold the PISA. Mine was a regular PIS and I had been wanting the Advanced forever! My PIS had belonged to a friend who had never used it, as she had given up on breastfeeding from day one. I couldn't return it or anything because I was not the first owner. At any rate, I've had to contact Medela a few times for other things, and they have been wonderful each time. Maybe you could give them a call and ask if they have any tips for maintenance or preventative care.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah