Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: only nurses lying down & other questions

Question only nurses lying down & other questions

Hi,

I've posted once before due to a nursing strike. Everyone was very helpful. Unfortunately, LO is still on strike. He will nurse if I lie down in bed with him, but it's usually when he is ready for a nap. I think he is only comfort nursing. It's been 3 weeks since he first started refusing to nurse. I continue to offer my breast before every feeding, as well as anytime he fusses. He gets very upset as soon as I put him in the nursing position. If I take him into my bed and lie down next to him, he will usually nurse, unless he is very hungry, then he demands the bottle. This usually leads to him falling asleep after only a few minutes of actual nursing, I then just become his pacifier. Today he refused to take any naps unless I laid down with him and comfort nursed him. I hope this doesn't become a habit, because he used to fall asleep on his own. What's frustrating is that he no longer thinks of nursing as nourishment. My question is, why does the position make such a difference? Does anyone know why lying down can get an otherwise refusing baby to nurse? And why does he get so angry if I put him in a cradle position to nurse? Another question is, do you think there's still a chance that this strike will end after 3 weeks? He still nurses 3 or 4 times at night, and during the day when he's sleepy (if I lie down with him). I miss the way it was. I hate giving him a bottle, it makes me feel inadequate. I want him to nurse for nourishment as well as comfort.

Default Re: only nurses lying down & other questions

my lo still nurses lying down. It was not until about one month ago that she decided that if she was hungry enough she would tolerate a short snack on the road. I stopped trying to nurse her other places as it was beginning to be too stressful. Once I relaxed I found she was able to tolerate other places. Hang in there mamma~
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Hi ,

There are a few of things I can think of that might cause a baby to prefer to nurse only lying down:

~Overactive Letdown (OALD)--the usual telltale sign of this is a baby who pulls off crying, causing milk to spray all over. Since you have concerns that your supply is low, this seems unlikely.
    ~A fussy or distractable baby may truly need to lay down to become focused enough to nurse. How old is your baby again? Many moms find that their babies go through a period of time, usually during the second half of baby's first year, where they need to retreat to a quiet, dark room to get their little one's to nurse effectively.
    ~Sometimes, there is a physical reason that baby is uncomfortable being held in the cradle hold or other nursing positions. Many moms find that having baby adjusted by a chiropractor who specializes in treating infants can be a great help in this case.

When your baby comfort nurses, he is still getting some milk and is stimulating your breasts to make more. When he falls asleep, you could try breast compressions to get the milk flowing and encourage active sucking again. Watch and listen as baby nurses--when you see his little jaw moving, and hear sounds of sucking and swallowing, you know he is actively drinking milk.

Here are a couple of other things you might be interested in trying:

~You might consider starting baby's feeding with the bottle, giving him just an ounce or two to take the edge off his ravenous hunger, and then offer the breast. You can be sneaky about this...when the bottle is empty or close to empty, remove it slowly, and then quickly introduce the breast.

~You could also try cup feeding, to encourage baby to do all of his sucking at the breast. If baby has good head control and is sitting well with support, you can introduce a sippy cup. Again, start with just an ounce or two and then enourage baby to finish at the breast. Younger babies can be fed with a medicine cup, shot glass, or other similarly small cup. You may be able to obtain a special cup specifically designed for this purpose from a local lactation consultant. Or there might be one available for purchase at the LLLI online store. You should only cup feed a younger baby when he is awake and alert...which wouldn't be a problem in your case, since you say he is willing to nurse when he is sleepy.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

Thankyou for all the helpful info. I will try some of those things and see what happens. LO is 4 1/2 mos. It's definitely not OALD, because I never spray and rarely leak. The most I get from pumping is 3 ounces. He is a very fussy baby however. I let you know how things go.

Thanks,

Karen

You're welcome! Keep me posted!

Tiana