Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Homemade Baby Food - It's easy

Default Homemade Baby Food - It's easy

I just wanted to share that I didn't realize how easy it would be to make homemade food for my dd, and didn't realize how much she would prefer it over the jarred food. I didn't do this for my 3-year-old dd, but decided to try with my 6-mo-old at the suggestion of my daycare provider.

It took about 3 minutes of prep, 15 minutes of cooking, then another 5 min to puree and store it. I tried sweet potatoes and squash to start. DD loved the squash, she actually ate it rather than spitting it out, which she did with even the expensive organic jarred food. We'll try the sweet potatoes tonight.

I work full-time and have two kids, a house and a husband to care for. It only takes a total of about 30 min each weekend to make food for the baby for the whole week.

If you're thinking about it, you can do it. I found the KidCo cookbook and storage and feeding trays very helpful. I had the food grinder from my last baby, so that still works great.

Good luck, give it a try!!

Default Re: Homemade Baby Food - It's easy

Agreed, it takes me much less time than I thought it would. And it make sme feel good, can't beat that!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I made some of ds' "babyfood", but I found it to be a huge pain -- maybe I was doing something wrong?. The whole process seemed to take forever, and I was always so exhausted by the time I was actually supposed to be putting it in ice cube trays that I usually just asked dh to do that. I also live in an appartment and don't have a deep freeze, so putting anything in our tiny fridge freezer was annoying. In the end, ds wasn't really a fan of most of the stuff I'd gone to all that work to prepare, and I ended up putting it all in soup.

Maybe ds was just an odd kid? By 6 mo, he didn't really need smooth purres or strained anything. He was chowing down on Cheerios he picked up and put in his own mouth.

eta: This is not to say that homemade babyfood isn't great for some people. If it's something you enjoy making and your baby enjoys eating, then more power to you!
    Last edited by Feorsteorra; June 8th, 2006 at 06:47 PM.

A good online resource is http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ which gives you step by step instructions, nutritional value, recipes, and tips to make your babyfood.

I make baby food all the time and it hardly take me 30 min. I simply puree what we are eating for dinner (as far as veggies go) and then mash or puree and then srop in ice cubes. Really easy and DS loves it. He ate greenbeans the other night and loved them so much I had to make another ice cube for him because he was still hungry

I agree that the homemade "baby food" is so much easier and more convenient than people say think it will be. My DD also only at the really pureed stuff for about 3 months (from 6-9 months) so by the time I had done two "cooking sessions" of fruits and veggies (one hour or so in an evening equaled a cooking session), she was up to chopped/cut/mashed food.

A few tips I've found useful now that she's eating "finger foods":
    The bags of frozen mixed veggies are very handy. I'll defrost a little bit at a time for her and it's good if we're having a veggie she doesn't eat yet or if we're on the go.

The baby yogurt (YoBaby)is great. I'll mix in some rice cereal and veggies or fruit and it makes a "complete meal". Helps her get in more veggies too. That's a good meal to toss in the insulated pack with an ice pack when we're eating out.

Otherwise, she usually eats what we're eating in bite size pieces or I keep things like canned chicken breast, beans, cheese, and potato buds on hand to mix with veggies for a quick meal.

Gerber hasn't gotten rich off me!

I love Ruth Yaron's book Super Baby Food. She's a bit extreme on the "all natural" stuff, but I found her suggestions very helpful and it's a good guide for what to introduce when and how to avoid the jars of baby food trap.