Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Picky eater?

Default Picky eater?

My LO turned 6 months old a couple of weeks ago. She'd been EBF until then, and my DH and I were excited to begin feeding her some homemade solids. We started with bananas, which she seemed to like a lot. Next we tried sweet potatoes. She wouldn't eat a bite. So, we tried squashed apples. No go. Same thing for broccoli. So we went back to bananas. Sometimes she eats them with gusto. Other days she won't eat any at all. We don’t push it when she doesn't want any solids, but I wonder what's up. Is she extremely picky, not ready for solids, or what? What would be a good thing to try next?
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

Default Re: Picky eater?

Avocado.

I think it's too early to say she's picky. My Lo is now 15 months and after she was 10 months started eating variety. Try courzette too. Usually they love it. My Lo e.g. used to eat it and no potato, even sweet

Thanks for the tips, ladies. Excuse my ignorance, though... what's courzette?
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

Babies make an idea (like or dislike) of a specific taste after trying a food for 10-15 times. So if your LO did not eat it once, it does not mean you cant try again for another 10 times.
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

My ds is 11 mo old, when I first started feeding him solids it was the same way. The first thing I fed him was Avacado, he loved it, then after a few feedings he stopped being interested in solids. I just kept giving him whatever he would eat three times a day. Sometimes it was a few spoonfuls some times the whole jar (I do a mix of make my own and organic store bought babyfood). Now, he eats everthing... red peppers, bananas, carrots, cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew, peaches, plums, pears... that is raw.. he also loves baby food, finger foods.. he doesn't have any teeth but he gums everything to death... and still nurses every two or three hours. Today he nawed on a bagel. No worries, he will get the picture soon.. give him a few months.

My DS was EBF for 6 mos and now BF and bottle fed. He started "experimenting" with solids at 4.5 mos but never really took full meals. Still doesn't, and he is 8 mos. He eats a good variety. Some days he eats like a glutton and some days he is not interested at all. I have given up being panicked over it. From what I have read and from what he has shown me, just when you think there's some new behavior, they go and change it up on you. Not to worry. Your LO is figuring out what the stuff is and whether it is tasty enough to keep trying. Mine took a while to view the food as "food". For the first two months or so of solids, the milk was still the "food" and the food was a game to him. It'll come. Be patient.
    And yes, avodaco is a big hit. So are peas. You wouldn't think so, but they can be a little sweet, and they are a green veggie, too!
    Good luck