Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping too often?

Default Pumping too often?

I've been pumping at work every 2.5 hours to 3 hours. On the days I'm home, I am so engorged!! Should I be pumping every 4 hrs instead?

Default Re: Pumping too often?

Pump as many times as your baby is eating when you aren't there. Pumping more than that (unless you are like me and can't get enough that way) will lead to over supply. how old is your lo? how long have u been back at work?
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I've been back to work for 3 weeks now. At first I was worried I wasn't pumping enough since they barely had enough (my husband and sitter) for the day, so that's when I upped it to 2.5-3 hrs apart. Josh is now 10 weeks old and is a big boy! He is 14 pounds and 90th percentile. Do you think I should continue with the current pumping time frame ? I probably have 3 oz leftover each day.

If you have too much milk you can reduce the pumping to slow down your supply or you can freeze it to build your milk stash (for emergencies or when you get sick, etc). Also, if you have extra you can donate it to LOs that need it. Here is a link on the topic: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...=milk+donating
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I think you should keep up your current schedule. LO will hit a growth spurt and you'll be glad you have the extra 3 oz. - I promise!

Amy