Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much should LO be drinking?

Question How much should LO be drinking?

Hi ladies! I have a quick question.

My LO drinks two 3 ounce bottles at daycare. Sometimes she'll drink a third one, but I don't think she finishes that bottle.

For a 7 week old, what is the average amount she should be drinking? I think 6 ounces is too little but she seems satisfied.

Plus, when we get home, she BFs like crazy. (even if she just drank a bottle)

But is there an article or anything that can tell me how much my LO should be drinking at her age?

THANKS!!!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Default Re: How much should LO be drinking?

Here's some info from Kellymom:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/m...c.html#howmuch

Your little one sounds like mine...not eating so much through the day (although she is much younger than my DS..so maybe that is normal) and then eating ALL night long.

The "rule of thumb" that always worked for us was that baby should be drinking 1 to 1.5 oz EBM for every hour ways from mom.

This number really doesn't change as LO gets older, but they may take larger amounts at a time and need to feed less frequently.

So - for us, DS was in day care for 8 hours. That meant he should need 8 to 12 oz EBM. He usually drank 9 to 10 oz. When he was younger he'd only take 2 - 3 oz at a time. When he was about 8 or 9 mo he was taking 5 - 6 oz at a time.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by bowser625 View Post
    Plus, when we get home, she BFs like crazy. (even if she just drank a bottle)
    Sounds pretty normal - lots of LO reverse cycle by not feeding much during the day and then doing lots of cluster feeding in the evening and at night.

Since breastfeeding is about so much more than just breastmilk, it's also a way for your LO to reconnect with you at the end of the day.

My DS still does this and he's 15 mo old. When I pick him up at preschool I need to sit with him and nurse for awhile before we can leave. When my DH picks him up, DS can wait until he gets home and has a snack.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)