Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Needing Some Encouragement

Default Needing Some Encouragement

I am breastfeeding my 12 week old son. We are having some trouble with OALT. He loves to nurse lying down, which is ok sometimes and when we are home. And he wants to nurse all the time. I can't seem to get anything done as far as running erronds and my 3 year old little girl is a little frustrated with me lying down all the time as I am too. Seems like one day I am commited to continuing breastfeeding and the next I am ready to wean. I am feeling worn out an drained from all the nursing.

Default Re: Needing Some Encouragement

and

You can do this!! I know it seemed like I was constantly nursing those first couple of months, but it definitely slows down. Your baby may be going through a growth spurt right now, and if so he is nursing a lot because he needs the wonderful nutrition you are giving him, but it won't last long- maybe a week. Here's a link about it:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

Hang in there, it sounds like you are doing great so far. You will find a lot of help and encouragement on these forums. A lot of women have gone throught the same issues with OALD, so hopefully you can find some help for that here as well.

Maybe you can find some time to spend doing something special with your little girl- just you and her- for an hour or so while someone else watches the baby? That might help her adjust to mama's new priorities? I'm not much help there, I only have one so far.

Hang in there, mama!!! You can do it!!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Hang in there! It gets better! I, too, have a 3 year old and when my now 6 month old was a newborn, it was hard. If your 3 year old isn't in a mother's day out or preschool program, just do the best you can. If that means that he/she watches a movie or two each day, so be it. Remember, for the first 8 weeks of your babies life, you are in survival mode. Do whatever you have to to make it through. Then you can evaluate.....
    Keep it up! and yes, being tired stinks, but it will get better. Just remember to take care of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    and

You can do this!! I know it seemed like I was constantly nursing those first couple of months, but it definitely slows down. Your baby may be going through a growth spurt right now, and if so he is nursing a lot because he needs the wonderful nutrition you are giving him, but it won't last long- maybe a week. Here's a link about it:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

Hang in there, it sounds like you are doing great so far. You will find a lot of help and encouragement on these forums. A lot of women have gone throught the same issues with OALD, so hopefully you can find some help for that here as well.

Maybe you can find some time to spend doing something special with your little girl- just you and her- for an hour or so while someone else watches the baby? That might help her adjust to mama's new priorities? I'm not much help there, I only have one so far.

Hang in there, mama!!! You can do it!!!
    Hang in there!!!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Hi - I've felt exactly the same way at times since my LO was born (12 weeks ago.)
    You can do this - it will get easier. I know it's doubly hard because you have your 3 year old. I don't have other children, but my sister also had a 3 year old when her son was born. He nursed constantly, and she had a hard time getting errands done and playing with her daughter. Do you know many other people in your area? My sister said playdates really saved her! You can try contacting your local La Leche League leader to see when they meet, and if they can hook you up with other moms.
    Hang in there! If it weren't for the support I've gotten from other moms on this site, I think I might have thrown in the towel a couple of times!
    and lots of cloth diapers!

Estela Kimberly, born August 31, 2007 and Sasha Julia, born September 3, 2010

Wink Re: Needing Some Encouragement

It is extremely hard, especially when you have other children. My oldest son is 4 and my newbie is 3 months tomorrow. I would read to them both at the same time while I was nursing and I got really good at walking and feeding so that my older son could go to the park and play outside. Practice will make things better it just takes so much time and so much patience. Keep up the great work momma!