Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping takes a long time

Default pumping takes a long time

Hi there! I'm starting work again soon, and I will be pumping there also hopefully twice a day. I've noticed recently though, that it takes so long for me to pump out all the milk. I'm not overly full, but it just doesn't seem to ever stop. Is there a safe way to speed up this process? I don't want to end a pump session before it's done because I'm afraid it will leave out the hindmilk. I'm a teacher, so I can't be away from my class too long and I only have 30 min for lunch, which is about how long it takes. I have a Medela PIS.

Default Re: pumping takes a long time

Check the min/max dial on the pump. I found that as my son got older I had to crank that up more to mimic the force of his nursing. Plus, I found that for "real" pumping (in place of a nursing session) I needed a higher speed and higher suction.

Good luck to you!

I'm not sure of everyone's experiences, but I've heard and can confirm for mayself, you get more milk pumped when you're actually away from your baby. Mental thing, I guess...
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Check out this link..
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

I pump twice a day also and I have only 15 - 20 mins... This really helps!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Are you double pumping? I didn't have the money for a hands free kit so I was only pumping one side at a time (to keep one hand free). It took about 30mins. I still don't have a hands free kit but now I double pump and it takes about 10 to 15mins.

I am double pumping. I was considering one of those hands free things....how much are they and where do I get one? I've heard of people making it themselves too. Are they more trouble than they are worth?

My own experience was that once I started pumping at work, it got much easier and faster and I now have it timed to where my second let down happens at 8-10 minutes, then I pump to 15 minutes for good measure. But my work also has a Medela lactina select in our lactation room - let me tell you that using one of those makes a lot of difference even over the PIS!

I'm not sure what most people use for hands-free pumping, but I've been using the "Pumpin' pal" (http://www.pumpinpal.com/) which costs $9.95. It's a strap like necklace that lets the falanges kind of hang from your neck. It's not truly hands free, especially when I am more engorged, but it allows a pretty good amount of freedom and I can multi-task while I pump.

Instead of buying a hands-free pumping bra, I just use 4 hair ties. You loop 2 of them together so they make a figure eight. One loop goes around the breast shield, the other hooks onto your bra (where you snap it together). It works GREAT for me! There's a link somewhere on this site, but I can't find it right now.

But for less than $1.00 you can make your own hands-free thing!!!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

I love, love my easy expressions bra for hands free pumping:

http://www.easyexpressionproducts.com/

It's well made and lasted thru 2 lo's pumping so far. Worth the extra $$'s for sure.

Amy

take a tube top (or sports bra) cut a whole in it so the small part of the flange does thru it... hands free
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)