Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I am so frusturated

Default I am so frusturated

I am so glad to have found this board. I have already read so many good things however, I wanted a thread of my own mostly because I am hoping to capitalize on the therapeutic advantage to writing it all down.

My little girl is now almost 4 months old (born 7.15.07) I have now been back to work since September 10th. My first day back I was disappointed that I only got 9 oz during my three pumping sessions here at work. Today I can only dream of getting 9 oz. Starting that day I began a downward spiral of diminishing supply and now I feel like I am fighting a losing battle to keep any milk in at all. Starting this past Monday (11/5) stepped up my pumping per my lactation nurse. Previously I was pumping 5 x a day and nursing 2 x. Now I am pumping 9-11 x a day and still nursing 2 x. Yesterday I pumped a total of 10 times and had 8 oz of milk to show for it .

Just so you have all the info - over the course of the past two months I have rented a hospital grade pump and taken fenugreek, blessed thistle and Reglan. I am at the bottom of my cycle with the Reglan. In the meantime I am continuing the herbs. I am at this point supplementing quite a bit as her weight gain was low at her 3 month check up. My evening pumping includes a power pumping session which according to my nurse means I pump at 8 pm for 10 min, 9 pm for 10 min, and 10 pm for 10 min. I will usually throw in a nursing session and another pumping session in the evenings too. I also use relaxation techniques, massage and compression.

I guess I have a couple of questions

1- How long before I start to notice a difference in my supply with having added all these extra pumping sessions?

2- Provided I do see an increase, will I always have to pump this much in order to maintain the new amount?

3- Right now I have resisted nursing between midnight and 6 am because if I do I find that I get less in the morning when I pump. My morning pump is crucial. I get more from that session than from all the others combined. However I am second guessing if this is the right thing to do or not.

4- Is there ANYTHING else I can do?

I want this so badly for my baby. I just feel like I am fighting a losing battle. Any thought/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time!

Default Re: I am so frusturated

I think I understand how badly you want this to work. I quit bf my dd when she was 6mos. I didn't have any support at that time. I plan to make it at least a year with this one. How long are you at work? With work and commute I am away from my lo 10hrs. I pump 3 times (for my 5mo) and get 9 to 12oz. Is there a reason you only nurse 2x? I pump 3x at work and nurse at least 4x. I have always been told that nursing is better than a pump. When I don't pump enough in a day I nurse lo and then pump (if dh is there to take lo, if not, I pump at night while everyone is asleep) until I get enough. I too liked to see a lot of output on the mornings lo slept all or most of the night but I found that it hurt my supply in the long run. As to the weight gain, does it seem normal to you? Is your lo happy and healthy other than that? She may just be small. I hope you got some good out of this.

It is so difficult when you are not able to pump enough. I am struggling with this too. Are you drinking enough water? Have you tried oatmeal? It sounds like you are doing everything.

I agree with pp. I think nursing your LO more often might help. Even though you may not see the milk when you pump, your LO is probably getting more during a feeding. Nursing would, most likely, give your LO more BM over all. KWIM?

I have tried all of the things that you have mentioned and I still only pump 6 oz in three pumping session. It is so frustrating! I hope you find what works for you.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

Thank so much for your replies
    as for:
    Quote Originally Posted by ansley View Post
    Is there a reason you only nurse 2x?
    Yes, there is a reason, but it isn't a good one necessarily. When I nurse it takes away from what I can pump. I know at the end of the day it is all going to the same place (my LO) but psychologically, I hate the idea of only leaving her one bottle of breastmilk when I am gone during the day and at my current production rate, that would be all I could leave her if I nursed more.

From what I understand, pumps are not as efficient as are babies at emptying your breasts. So, it follows that the more you often you pump instead of nurse, your supply will drop further. I think nursing more, as much as you possibly can, should increase your supply, or maybe try nursing on one side while pumping on the other. I have read that some women have had success with this method. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dra6on View Post
    Yes, there is a reason, but it isn't a good one necessarily. When I nurse it takes away from what I can pump. I know at the end of the day it is all going to the same place (my LO) but psychologically, I hate the idea of only leaving her one bottle of breastmilk when I am gone during the day and at my current production rate, that would be all I could leave her if I nursed more.
    Hello and Welcome!

Breastfeeding works on the principle of supply and demand. The more baby nurses, the more milk you will make. Increasing the amount of time your little one spends breastfeeding when you are together will both increase your overall milk supply, and decrease her dependence upon pumped milk while you are seperated.

Your breasts are never truly empty, and it is the breast stimulation that tells your body, "okay, girls, time to make more...this baby is hungry!"

From what I understand, pumps are not as efficient as are babies at emptying your breasts.
    This is absolutely true. Babies get way more milk when they nurse directly than you get when you pump. If you want to give your body a double boost, breastfeed your daughter, and then after she is satisfied, pump for a while. Even if you get little to nothing in terms of pump output, you will be stimulating your body to make more milk.

Many mothers find that bringing baby to bed with them to nurse frequently throughout the night is a great way to increase their milk supply. Some babies of WOHM mothers even learn to "reverse cycle", that is, take in most of the calories they need while nursing in their sleep, and eat very little during the day.

Anything you can do to increase the amount of time she spends nursing directly will positively impact your milk supply.

For more suggestions about getting the most from your pump while at work, check out this link: www.lllli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana