Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got it, I think?

Default Finally got it, I think?

Ok, so DD is now 3 1/2 months old and we finally got her nursing from the breast (not the nipple shield) YEAH but now i'm learning how to bf all over again, at least that is how i'm feeling - I'm trying to get her to latch on better, sometimes she gets a good latch, then slips to just the tip, and i pull her off and start again. It doesn't hurt, at first, but sometimes about 5-10 minutes after a nursing, they do hurt, like a burn/throb... so does that mean she was not latched right? I'm so happy that we got past the shield, only using it when she won't latch at all, but i'm worried that i'm doing something wrong...

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Default Re: Finally got it, I think?

This is really great news mama!

When you say pull off, do you mean you stick a finger in and break the latch? Directly pulling off can cause some nipple trauma, and should be avoided. It can also cause some chapping, pain and tingling.

Good video on latching: http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/v...LatchOnEnglish

no, she kind of slips off herself, then when she opens wide again i shove the boob back in, that whole RAM (Rappid arm movement ) that i learned in the bfing class. But here is another question, should they make noises? I remember the LC in the NICU told me that was not good, but sometimes she does make some clicking noises and her mouth is nice and wide... I'm watching the video now, Thanks

12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Clicking can be a sign of a few things. Some babies click when they are trying to slow down the milk flow, some click during a poor latch.
    If baby is slipping off it might be a sign that you need better support under your breast. A heavy breast can weigh on the chin and tired baby out. Have you tried holding the breast up?

Yeah, i actually try to hold her with one hand and my breast with the other, and do some compressions, it seems like she gets on better like that. I think it is the hamburger, not really sure... she just finished and i'm slightly tender at the nipple, but nothing that is unbearable

12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

What color is it? Blanching?

nope, pink... i take it that any other color is bad?

12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Well. ... If they turn white it can mean the nipple hasn't gone all the way into the soft palate area. It can be a sign that a deeper latch is needed.

how can you get hem to get a deeper latch?? I'm afraid that that is a problem

12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

I'm in the same boat - my DS is about to be 3 mos. this week and I just got him on the breast and off the nipple shield. I'm also experiencing the same nipple pain and soreness and wonder if it's a latching problem. I see him open wide when we start, but as the "session" continues, it's as though he "loosens" up and gets to the nipple.

How can I get a good latch? I'm so happy we're on the breast, but OUCH!!!