Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I never thought I would get this far once

Default I never thought I would get this far once

but TWICE . . . . Yeah. Right.

A few years ago, I would have thought someone like me was a) nuts, b) too crunchy and/or c) too wrapped up in her kids.

Watch out what one thinks

My first goal, with DS #1, was to nurse to 6 weeks. That's all. I was gonna go back to work and give it up. We then got to 8 weeks, I quit my job at 4 months and started treatment for horrible PPD, we got to 6 months and nursed for 22 months total, beating the PPD, surviving a miscarriage and nursing in pregnancy along the way.

DS #2 has now nursed for a year and a day. No end in sight. It seems normal and expected.

Let me just say this. . .

If one gives in to motherhood, and gives one's children what they need, one may be utterly surprised to find out what one can do.

Thanks, ladies, for all the support in giving in
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: I never thought I would get this far once

Susan, along time ago when the earth was green I Seem to remember having a conversation with you via PM and Fax about baby wearing. (HOW LONG AGO WAS THAT??!?!?) You have handled everything about motherhood with style and grace. Including having a high needs toddler while having an infant at the same time, and while breastfeeding and using cloth diapers on both of them. You have always come across as levelheaded. And dare I say crunchy. Before there was a forum for cloth diapers you were there with us discouraged by how mainstream all the people around you seemed. ( I hope you didn't stop going to the pool parties though!) So congratulations. Not just one your 2nd baby being a year old, but on all the great things you have accomplished as a mother. You rock and you always have. :tumbsup

Way too lazy for formula

congrats!! i hope to be posting a thread just like yours in april '09!!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    (HOW LONG AGO WAS THAT??!?!?)

( I hope you didn't stop going to the pool parties though!)
    Gosh, I'd forgotten that conversation!

Actually, I did end up not going to many more pool parties. Part of it was my choice, partly the other moms stopped asking me. I don't really miss it. It was hard being the only pro-BF, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, babywearing mama there . . . not much in common.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by IansMommy View Post
    If one gives in to motherhood, and gives one's children what they need, one may be utterly surprised to find out what one can do.

Well done!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Susan, you're awesome and your "story" is an inspiration for all of us to "give in to motherhood."

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Congratulations!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Hip, Hip, Hooray!!! Congrats on being an awesome nursing mother!
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Congrats! Glad to see you here too!!

Paula
    Mom to Cody 2/3/92
    Mommy to Kaeden 10/06/06