Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the go...???

Default On the go...???

Okay, so when I am on the go, its hard to get to a place to BF my LO, and I generally pump before we go anywhere....so she has bottles...but then the problem of warming them arises. I tried a travel bottle warmer from Walmart, which SUCKED, said it was supposed to be reusable time and time again, WELL IT WASN'T!!!! Any suggestions????

Default Re: On the go...???

Quote Originally Posted by JDslilwifey View Post
    Okay, so when I am on the go, its hard to get to a place to BF my LO, and I generally pump before we go anywhere....so she has bottles...but then the problem of warming them arises. I tried a travel bottle warmer from Walmart, which SUCKED, said it was supposed to be reusable time and time again, WELL IT WASN'T!!!! Any suggestions????
    Perhaps we can help you with being more comfortable with breastfeeding when you are out and on the go?

Once you figure out how to nurse in public it is much easier than delaing with bottles and all that!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    Perhaps we can help you with being more comfortable with breastfeeding when you are out and on the go?

Once you figure out how to nurse in public it is much easier than delaing with bottles and all that!
    Completely agree, unfortunately I was never comfortable (physically- I had a LOT of back pain) with DD1 to NIP. I hope I can figure something out with DD2.

Anyway, I just wanted to let OP know that DD didn't mind EBM at room temp. Have you tried giving your LO the EBM without warming it up? Just a suggestion. (I understand you'd have to feed her w/in a certain time period, but if you won't be out all day it could be an option.)
    Last edited by ak411; November 8th, 2007 at 11:21 AM.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I use a nursing cover so it doesn't matter where I am I can feel comfortable nursing anywhere. Also, if you have to worm a bottle you can run it under warm watter in the sink. I bought the bottle warmer from walmart too, didn't work for me either.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel

I find that using the storage bags when we are out makes things a little easier. My LO won't take cold milk, and the bags make warming much faster. A little warm water and they heat up quite quickly. Just make sure they are safe in the diaper bag, they aren't as durable as bottles and can make quite a mess if they are squished or punctured.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by RME View Post
    I use a nursing cover so it doesn't matter where I am I can feel comfortable nursing anywhere.
    I usually nurse in public using a ring sling. My DS hates having his head covered, so any sort of nursing cover or blanket didn't work for us. Other moms use pouches or wraps.

Now I pretty much NIP anywhere any time even if we don't have the sling with us. I find somewhere to sit that gives us some privacy. Pretty much nobody ever notices, and if they do they've been supportive.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    I usually nurse in public using a ring sling. My DS hates having his head covered, so any sort of nursing cover or blanket didn't work for us. Other moms use pouches or wraps.
    I was going to suggest a sling or wrap, too. A little practice and you won't even have to interrupt what you are doing to feed the baby. Once I could nurse DS in the sling I felt like my productivity increased by a significant margin!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

I third the babywearing idea. It helped me get started with NIP and now I don't even care. If dd is hungry, here is as good of a place as any (no matter where here is) even if we don't have a carrier.
    The other thing that really helped being out and about for me at first was nursing shirts. Or wearing layers so that none of my skin showed. Again, another thing that stopped mattering after a while.
    Though for me I had to get over it pretty quick if I wanted to get anything done because DD never learned to use a bottle so EBM was never an option for us while out. HTH
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

My dh gives ds a bottle while we're at the gym and it's my turn to work out. I bought a bottle warmer 4 years ago with my first. Not sure if they are still around but it's yellow and white. It says Philips Baby Care on the front. It plugs into ur car with an adapter that comes with it or you can use at home in regular outlet. It takes longer to warm up in the car is the only drawback. ~8-10 min but if you know about when your baby will be hungry it really isn't a problem. My ds doesn't mind room temp so I just warm for 5 min to room temp. I like the PP idea of warming in bag, that might make milk warm up faster than transfer to bottle. HTH

since ebm lasts 4-6 hours and she usually eats before that I try to take the next bottle out of my travel cooler right after she finishes the 1st feed then when its time for the next feed it is usually almost ready. If I forget to do that I put it between my legs..(heehee) or under my arm to help speed up the process!! or i have asked people for a warm glass of water to put the bottle in there. chances are you are not too far from a faucet!