Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: introducing milk

Default introducing milk

how did you do it? did you just put it in a sippy cup and let them drink away? how much should i give in a day? what do i look for as far as an allergic reaction, just in case? tia
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Default Re: introducing milk

I started giving it in a sippy. Nora won't drink it if I'm around, because she knows I have the 'good stuff' though. She drinks it at day care, though. They give her some in a sippy with her meals and some warmed in a bottle once or twice a day when they are trying to put her down for a nap. They said she drinks about 2 oz from the bottles. Not sure about the sippy.

I'm not sure about the allergy- I would expect it would be a rash around the mouth or the bullseye around the anus later on. Possible mucousy/bloody stools? Maybe someone else will have more info on that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

kelly mom has some great info..
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

Many nursing moms are told that they must introduce cow's milk at a year. Your nursing toddler is already getting the best milk he can get - mother's milk! Breastmilk has a higher fat content than whole cow's milk (needed for baby's brain growth), and all the nutrients of human milk are significantly more bioavailable than those of cow's milk because it is species specific (not to mention all the components of mother's milk that are not present in cow's milk).

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.

Well, I've given my boy cow's milk a few times. in a regular plastic cup (adult cups). no sippy. he didn't drink a lot though. If there was any allergic reaction, I don't know about it. or what it is. so...he is 6 months old on the 14th and even though they say wait a year, I haven't. I see nothing wrong with it. my dad got cow's milk when he was 6 months old also. and so did all of his siblings.

I put a little (like 1/4 cup or less) in a sippy and let my kids try it. I don't force it and I don't make a big deal out of it since it's not all that nutritious anyway.

Colton got his first taste today. . . Well, actually it went all over the floor because he got the top of the cup loose, and the dog licked it up, but he tasted some.

http://www.growingkids.co.uk/IntroducingCowsMilk.html has some EXCELLENT reasons on why giving cow's milk to a 6 month old (or any child under a year) is a bad idea. I know it used to be done, but a lot of things used to be done (and I wonder if our parents are paying the price with increases in cancer, obesity, diabetes and the like).

Cow's milk is the #1 cause of food allergies in very young children.

Here's a link with symptoms http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/med...k_allergy.html
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    my dad got cow's milk when he was 6 months old also. and so did all of his siblings.
    My mother and all 10 of her siblings didn't have a car seat, does that mean I should let my DS ride in the car without one today?

We gave it in a sippy. Connor did not like it at first, but I offered with meals. He took to it in his own time, now he LOVES it. He's actually developed a preference for it over food and I to 1) limit it to two sippy's a day, one in the AM, one in the PM and 2) not let him see it until he eats some of his dinner. Of course he knows the sign for it and asks and asks before I give to him.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

we tried it the other day and he liked it! i only give it in a sippy (we have never used bottles) and i give it at breakfast. he doesn't seem to be having any kind of reaction to it, which was my biggest concern, thanks, mommas!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

OK LADIES... here's a question for you. My son does not like sippy cups. He likes regular cups, but eventually wants to spill the milk or water all over the place. I read somewhere that LLL recommends a certain sippy cup.. anyone know about this?
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!