Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing my supply

Default Increasing my supply

My daughter is 4m and for the last couple of weeks I find that every few days I don't seem to have enough milk for her. Now I know that putting her to the breast is the best way to increase my supply, but she gets extremely frustrated, and won't stay on for very long at a time. Therefore it can take me a long time to get let-down (particularly in afternoon/evening). Last night I even got my 23m old daughter to latch on so that she could stimulate the let-down, then put my baby to the breast! (23m old still has one feed per day in the mornings after baby). So I have started trying to pump after some feeds, but of course can't get a let-down with the pump, so hardly get anything. Is it worth pumping when I can't get much milk out? Is there any other reason for slow let-down (other than low supply)? What can I do? My daughter is exclusively bf, and is on Losec and Gaviscon for silent reflux. She has never gained weight very fast. On Saturday we threw her pacifier away (which we'd been using since she was 4wks old, only for sleep times). Any ideas? Thanks!

Default Re: Increasing my supply

I talk More Milk Plus liquid. You can also drink LOTS of water, consume enough calories, and eat oatmeal. Brewers yeast also helps. Pump also if you have a pump or nurse more frequently. Good luck!

Hi Deenz

It's always frustrating and concerning when our babies don't want to nurse and we don't know why! If I am reading your post correctly, you are tandem nursing a 23 month old and a 4 month old? And I'm assuming you nursed your older child without any problems? Since you've been tandem nursing and successfully feeding the baby in question for 4 months, I'm wondering if your supply is fine and there is something else going on.

You mention that you have trouble getting a letdown in the afternoon/evening. Is this when you find your baby is the most difficult to nurse? Perhaps this is a more stressful time in your household (dinnertime, mom is worn out, kids are tired). If you think this is the case, maybe you could come up with some ways to ease this time of day (prepare a casserole for dinner earlier in the day that can be popped in the oven later, adjust naptimes a bit, etc.).

You also mention that she has reflux. Do you find that she nurses in certain positions better than others? Perhaps certain positions cause her pain or discomfort from her reflux and a simple change of nursing position would do the trick. Perhaps undressing her and putting her skin to skin with you, or carrying her around in a sling so she can nurse if she feels like it, would help.

Another thought--four months is about the time that many babies start teething. Perhaps her mouth is hurting her occasionally and letting her chew on something cold before nursing would help.

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hi thanks for your replies.

Yes, I have bf my first daughter successfully, and am now tandem nursing.

I do think that my real 'problem' is slow let-down at times, which I think is made worse by getting stressed about not letting down quickly! I may be wrong though! My baby is not very patient at times!

Today I have not pumped at all, as I feel better about my supply. I got my daughter weighed and she has put on 200g in 2wks, which is on the low end, but pretty normal for her.

The last two nights she has slept through from a 10pm ish feeding until 6am, so I figure she must be getting what she needs. During the day I'm finding that she feeds 4hrly in the morning, and then sort of another 4hrly (with a top up before her nap) and then 3hrly, and a little bit of a cluster feed before bed. I seem to sort of switch feed (is that what it's called) where I'll feed off one breast until she gets frustrated, then go to the other, then go back to the first a bit later.

I doubt very much she will be teething now, as my husband and I were both late teethers, and my elder daugher only got her first tooth at 17m!

What do you make of this behaviour - looking like she's going to go on to the breast, maybe putting her mouth on, and then turning away and 'complaining' (with or without a suck)?

I feed her in pretty much the same position at each feed (cradle hold) apart from the first morning feed is usually lying down in bed.

Thanks again.

Having the same problem as you....so you're not alone. Several people I know took fenugreek to help their milk supply which worked well for them. I am trying the same, but having gotten very far (but only on it for 24 hours so far). It my help.

Also dd sometimes will go to latch on but then turn away at the last minute without complaining, almost like she's changed her mind! Don't know what to make of that either!

Smile Re: Increasing my supply

Pump a little before latching with your baby, so milk can flow faster. Oatmeal and brewer's yeast, but especially OATMEAL can make your milk ZOOOOM!!! Try it for breakfast and dinner with fruit and maple syrup. IT DOES WONDERS! Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by ranoon
    hi everyone i have a question if anyone can me with this my daughter is 3 and 1/2 months and i have very low supply and i have supplement, i am trying to put here on my breastevery 2 to 3 hours but she only stays on for about 5 minutes....what can i do...i am also pumping after i feed here. I am also trying oatmeal but how long does it take to start working....any suggestions i really appreciate i am really lost....my family keepstrlling me to forget it and just give here formula but i don't want to do that. please help\

thanks
    Hi ranoon
    I am moving this question a new thread in this section so that it will get the attention it deserves .

LLLnormaR